Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been carrying for almost 3 months now and I dont even notice my gun anymore. I love my crossbreed holster (thanks mark!) and I still love my XDM but I'm having a hard time getting comfortable carrying one in the chamber. Even at home when I have it bedside, I dont have one in there. I dont have kids around so thats not an issue. Just knowing there is one in there makes me uneasy. Whenever I have on in the chamber, I'm ready to fire and have the gun down range.

Any words of advice to get comfortable with carrying one in the pipe would be great. Also, is it even necessary to carry one in the chamber? I know some people think that a gun without one ready is an unloaded gun. Just curious on other people's thoughts and suggestions for someone who carries on a daily basis.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
some do some dont. I do, IF you ever need to draw your weapon when every second counts, do you have time to rack the slide? do you have time to get a good sight picture? Thats not always the case in some scenarios. Again, I do carry hot and lots do and theres ppl that dont carry hot.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Here we go again

Popcorn engaged

I'm not going to go back and forth about whether you should or not, my chamber is always loaded , period, end of story.

Only thing I can suggest is to cock the gun on an empty chamber, then insert mag. Carry that way till you figure out the gun had not fired on its own. Really it should only take a day or two to convince you carrying with one in the pipe with an XD is perfectly safe

Follow the four rules and life willl be fine

·
Registered
403 Posts
You have an XDm, a gun which like most modern firearms will not fire without a trigger pull. You're carrying in a Crossbreed, which properly covers the trigger guard. As long as you make sure that your finger stays off the trigger until you're ready to shoot and keep the holster clear, there's really no risk to carrying with a round chambered.

Self-defense situations often hinge on split-second reactions. You can train yourself to rack one handed, etc, etc, but I personally don't want to add any extra steps to deal with. That's why I carry chambered.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i know it hasnt gone off, the cocked indicator on the xdm has always showed that its never gone off. i think I just wanted some reassurance that others that carry the same gun trust it enough thats all.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have been carrying for almost 3 months now and I dont even notice my gun anymore. I love my crossbreed holster (thanks mark!) and I still love my XDM but I'm having a hard time getting comfortable carrying one in the chamber. Even at home when I have it bedside, I dont have one in there. I dont have kids around so thats not an issue. Just knowing there is one in there makes me uneasy. Whenever I have on in the chamber, I'm ready to fire and have the gun down range.

Any words of advice to get comfortable with carrying one in the pipe would be great. Also, is it even necessary to carry one in the chamber? I know some people think that a gun without one ready is an unloaded gun. Just curious on other people's thoughts and suggestions for someone who carries on a daily basis.

Thanks!

Ok well the important thing is that you have your gun on you cas alot of people that do have guns dont carry so your already one up on the guys that dont. But heres the thing your scared that your gun might accidently go off right?

It wont go off if its in the holster. so keep it their with one in the chamber and you wont have to worry about a thing. If you have the need to pull it out of the holster in public it should pretty much be cas your about to shoot it.

When you do have it out of the holster just teach yourself to keep your trigger finger way up high on the slide far away from the trigger with the gun pointed in a safe direction. If you follow these simple rules you will never have an accident. If you play with it irresponsibly with your finger on the trigger you will have an accident.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Perhaps it would help to spend some quality time disassembling it and learning how the safety features prevent it from discharging without pulling the trigger. That definitely helped me gain some confidence in my weapon years back when I was in your shoes. Some training might help you understand how you will need to use it to defend yourself if someone grabs you, attacks you with a knife, etc where you may only have one hand with which to draw.

·
Registered
895 Posts
think of it this way, carrying unchambered is pointless, if you carry unchambered you might as well sell your gun

just kidding to each his own, but seriously carrying hot could save your life, having to rack a slide could cause you to lose your life.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Similar posts have suggested an unchambered gun is for all practical purposes unloaded. I'm inclined to agree after reading through the arguments in favor of carrying chambered. I think other people have suggested snap caps to become comfortable.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I carry hot and I actually skateboarded to the mailbox yesterday and the gun did not go off by itself. I was a little worried at first too, but I wore it around the house unloaded and cocked and it did not go off at all, I even accidently dropped it and it did not go off. I too also see no point in not carrying hot, if you research it there are some threads on here that will change your mind!

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
If your not, then don't. All my guns stay loaded with full mags +1 in the chamber because that is my comfort level. If it makes you uncomfortable, then wait till your ready.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Start shooting IDPA/ISPC. It will get you used to running, moving, and all that stuff while holding a loaded gun in your hand. If the gun doesn't go off by itself while bouncing around in your hand while you're running, it's not going to go off in your holster. It will teach keeping your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot. It will also get you to become comfortable drawing a loaded gun from your holster.

When I started shooting these competitions, my level of comfort with my gun went WAY up.

Also, just do a few tests if you're worried about the gun going off by itself. Have your gun unloaded, rack the slide so the striker indicator is showing. Then just shake the hell out of the gun, drop it, shake it in every direction you can think of, put it in your holster and do some sprints and hop around. I'm pretty sure you'll see that it's not going to fire unless you pull the trigger.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Where is RonMexico when ya need him? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have some beer, can I have some of that popcorn?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Agreed on carrying with one in the chamber. I carried without one in my pistol or rifle the whole time I was in Afghanistan...anytime anything happened, the only thing you'd hear were guys wracking their m4s. Ridiculous if you ask me.

As far as home defense/ccw I always have one in the chamber. I feel safer that way. There was actually a shooting at a gas station...I forget where, but I think it was recently. Two guys were trying to drag one guy out of his car, and he was holding himself in with one hand, while with the other he went for his gun. He got it out and was able to defend himself, but later stated that he'd never have been able to keep his position and manipulate the slide if he was carrying without one in the chamber.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts