Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I'm new to AKs but I was getting a pad fitted to my stock and the armorer started talking about how the Russian military surplus (Wolf specifically) was highly corrosive and that the gas tube requires a thorough cleaning after shooting -- although that I should skip the lubricant.

This is the first that I've ever heard of that. I was under the impression that AK's were extremely resiliant to abuse and misuse (a good indicator of reliability, IMHO).

Secondly, he warned me against using Remington 7.62x39 saying that it was essentially .308 necked down for the bullet. He said that I should only use Russian ammo for the rifle.

Any truth to this? I thought there was a standard for every caliber, especially one so common as 7.62x39. Maybe I didn't understand him right. If so, what could he have been trying to communicate?

Oh, by the way, it's a gunkote-ed Romy SAR-1.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think the "armorer" is full of it. "IT", in this case, being Poo. There are many things wrong with what he said. You should be able to shoot anything marked 7.62x39 in your rifle. As long as it functions, go for it.

Edited to add: Never skip the lubricant. For ANY firearm.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
7.62x39 is all the same for the most part....308 is x51 so i doubt they could neck it down enough to fit x39.

I say shoot it all!

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
sounds like typical gun store b.s. to me.

I've shot several thousand rounds of wolf ammo out of my ak with no corrosion problems and I only clean it maybe every 400 or so rounds. (I also have put 1,500-2,000 rounds of wolf through my XD40 with zero problems)

I've never heard of not using Remington for the reason he states either....Not use it because it's extremely overpriced x39 ammo maybe? :eek:

I'll have to research that before I believe it.

*edit: Just noticed you're from Irving. Which shop told you this info?

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
I've run it all through my AK, and I will continue to do so.

Tell that to the "armorer."

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
There is no more russian surplus lol that dried up in the late 80s early 90s... russian ammo today (wolf, tiger, brown bear) is all fresh factory made. If you are only using russian ammo, thats what you are going to be using. Your "Armorer" is a mall ninja in disguise

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
failure to communicate on his end or your end, something lost in interpretation one way or the other ...... or he could be smoking that crack rock.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
failure to communicate on his end or your end, something lost in interpretation one way or the other ...... or he could be smoking that crack rock.
I'm thinking that this is probably the case. The guy looked like an old Vietnam vet, so I doubt that he was intentionally b.s.-ing me. Plus, how do you get to run the gunsmithing deparment of a major chain store without some training and knowledge.

I'm betting that what we have here is a failure to communicate.

[... sorry, couldn't help myself]

*edit: Just noticed you're from Irving. Which shop told you this info?
It was the BassPro off of TX-121 in Grapevine.

·
Premium Member
127,072 Posts
I'm thinking that this is probably the case. The guy looked like an old Vietnam vet, so I doubt that he was intentionally b.s.-ing me. Plus, how do you get to run the gunsmithing deparment of a major chain store without some training and knowledge.

There aren't any young ones! ;) On a serious note, however, This guy is grossly misinformed...and I doubt that he is an "armorer." He may not be intentionally BSing you, but he is ignorant. By the way, I'm a Vietnam vet who regulary shoots Wolf ammo in my AK with absolutely no ill effect.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts