Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at our favorite store today, decided to pick up some personal defense ammo, since the only thing I've fed by XD40 so far has been WWB. Well, all they had was Remington UMC JHP 180 grain.

Won't be able to see how she digests it for a week or so, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this stuff.

Good? Bad?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey Ron,

Is this the same UMC 180 gr. JHP that comes in green 100 round value packs? If so, I posted a thread about this a few minutes ago. I had over 350 rounds through my new XD-40 without a failure, until I let a friend shoot some of this ammo through it. 3 FTF's in the first 20 rounds. My gun seems to hate it. Hope you have better luck.

I'd like to know how you fare. Keep me posted.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
icwtumn said:
Hey Ron,

Is this the same UMC 180 gr. JHP that comes in green 100 round value packs? If so, I posted a thread about this a few minutes ago. I had over 350 rounds through my new XD-40 without a failure, until I let a friend shoot some of this ammo through it. 3 FTF's in the first 20 rounds. My gun seems to hate it. Hope you have better luck.

I'd like to know how you fare. Keep me posted.
That's the stuff. L40SW2B. As soon as I can get to the range with it I'll post how it worked. Since it was all they had, and it was $18/100, I thought I'd give it a try. Thanks for the feedback. You too, wirebender.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I tried PMC Bronze ammo thru my .40 service when i first got it. i bought 50 rounds and was only able to fire about 6. each one resulted in FTE or failure to go into battery fully.

I switched to UMC 165gr FMJ and havn't had any problems. I've fired about 400 rounds so far and I ended up buying a value pack of 200 rounds from Gander Mountain at a reasonable price recently. I havn't tried WWB, however, UMC seems about the same price so I figure i'd stick with what I know works for my XD.

For defence I use Speer Gold Dots, 180gr JHP. I've spent about 30 rounds of the Speers and every one has fired no problems.

It sounds like each XD is differnt with regards to which ammunition it likes. Mine seems to like UMC and Speer so far. Best of luck discovering which yours perfers :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Got out to try the XD40 this weekend . Picked up some bulk UMC 180 FMJ at Gander and went to the range. Now it was a tad cool here over the weekend ( - 5deg. ) . Had an FTF about every 10th round. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
180gr FMJ ammo tends to cause premature slide lock for me--think it has to do with the fatter cone shape of the bullet. I haven't tried 180gr JHP's but I'm not in a hurry to spend money to see the same thing happen. 165gr Gold Dots for me.

On a side note, I believe the premature locks would go away if I filed down that tab on the inside of the slide release that appears to get pushed up (causing the lock) by the round coming up to the top of the mag. But I don't wanna break my warranty, and the 165's are just fine.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
The UMC "green box" JHP's supposedly perform pretty decently in tests.

The only issue I have with that stuff is the huge muzzle flash. :(

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
LONGBOW338 said:
Got out to try the XD40 this weekend . Picked up some bulk UMC 180 FMJ at Gander and went to the range. Now it was a tad cool here over the weekend ( - 5deg. ) . Had an FTF about every 10th round. Any ideas ?
Use a dry lube in temperatures that cold and see if that is it. Most wet lubes thicken up and slow down the slide action, and that could be the same issue on magazine springs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just picked up my O.D. XD-40 tactical last week. I decided to use some of their S&B range ammo, boy did my XD not like that. It seemed like the rounds went everywhere except for my aimpoint and I had 3 FTF with dented primers. I have an HS2000 9mm that loves UMC and equally accurate with Wolf believe it or not. I hope its just the ammo in the XD40 and not the gun itself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks Don, I have some Brownells Action Magic on the way. Has anybody tried this ? I ordered it for my rifle triggers but I,m thinking of putting it on the slide rails. until then I'll try some Rem Dri lube

·
Registered
91 Posts
It seems to me that it may very well be a matter of having ammo issues with these guns. Like I said, my XD-40 service had never malfunctioned before putting the UMC in it, and I had tried five different kinds of ammo previously. Three FTF's in one magazine leads me to believe I have an ammo problem here.

I feel a little better knowing there are others that have had similar experiences. I'll just keep shooting and see what happens....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts