Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

This is my first post. I bought an XD-40 about amonth ago and am extremely happy. I grew up shooting all kinds of weapons on a farm( hunting rifles, shotguns, handguns,modified weapons, and other things that were way out of my league). Anyways, I never liked handguns, I couldnt hit the dam on a pond! Now that i am getting married and growing up I decided it was time to have my own. not only for the fun but also for protecting the ones i hold dear. I just wanted to thank every one for helping me make a great decision! I have shot 550 rounds so far at an indoor range and have improved dramtically. also i have had not a single failure to anything with this gun, unlike many experiences with other weapons throughout my life, albeit they were all old, used, and passed down. My reason for posting this thread is to inquire about an all black refinish, I think that the hard chroming from tripp research looks great and the price is right, but i do A LOT!! of backpacking, kayaking, and travelling in very remote locations, where you never know what you might run into(people, and animals). I am looking for a tough finish, that is not so noticible(black) that will take 1-2-10 weeks of carry with minimal cleaning
in a high humidity climate (forest, river, etc.) that is fairly scratch proof.

p.s i have no problems with rusting at all but i did put a pretty gnarly scratch on my slide with the take down lever the first time I field stripped it, I hadnt even shot it yet! beauty is not really an issue, i like the tough look and want afinish to go with it!

Any reply is appreciated, and again thanks for all the great info!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Welcome aboard TW,

I am no-bling kind of guy myself, and have managed fine with blued steel for several decades- but wet conditions like you described, one of the "coat" finishes would probably do better.

Brownells (www.brownells.com) has several DIY bake-on finishes. At least these would be easy to touch-up yourself and you wouldn't be sending your gun off all the time.

Glad your XD has worked out well for you. We have two XD-40's here and mine gets carried day in & day out. It must be close to 2000 rounds now, and has never choked except for on some SWC reloads that I screwed up.

Take care-

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as much as i like to do things myself,(carpenter), i would prefer it be done proffesionally sp?. I am not too comfortable with spraying "gunk" on a wonderfully reliable and accurate firearm with no training on how to do so evenly and effectively.I think the fusion finish looks good, but a little too shiny, is there a black hard-chrome? or will that show scratches a lot. I kind of like the idea of a "Truckbed liner spray" that will scratch but is the same color underneath, or will a plastic substance like that melt with a lot of firing? thanks again, also my price range is about 100$ top end!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry for two posts, it will be carried in a small carrier on my pack while hiking, and in a waterproof hard case (along with gps, water purification system, sat phone etc.) when kayaking. cleaning supplies may be carried when paddling, but not when hiking(weight issues.... also one reason for choosing the XD ) and wetness is almost a given in both situations

·
Registered
268 Posts
http://www.shootiniron.com/index.html Check this guy out. he has two of my slides now and i should be getting them this coming week. very reasonable. i only had him do my slides and mags. i will post pics when i get them back. Welcome to the XD club

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree on Mac; I have sent a lot of parts to him and he has always come back quickly and with a quality product. To show how tough the Tuff Gun is, one of the guys at the gun shop pulled out a pencil and tried to use the graphite to rub off the finish on a Garand part that Mac did. The score ended up being 1-0 for the buttstock, with the gun guy losing his argument. And the best thing is Mac is pretty reasonable on price. No problems suggesting him. If you want anything fancy, you might also try http://www.m1tactical.com/ these guys. Paul is the man at M1 Tactical and will get things done quickly in Duracoat (if you have a preference over Tuff Gun). Anyway, good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello and thank you for the good words about our service. I just wanted to let you know that we offer a special deal on XD's due their synthetic frame. We can not apply our finish to that but we'll do all of the other metal parts for $100. That includes one mag, full dis/reassembly, all details and our Tuff-Gun 1 finish on every metal part except for a few springs and pins. Yes, the mag release is also done.
kgpcr...Your slides are in the curing oven and looking good.
Thanks and keep yer powder dry, Mac.
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
Mac's Shootin' Irons.
www.shootiniron.com

·
Registered
43 Posts
TheWillis said:
p.s i have no problems with rusting at all but i did put a pretty gnarly scratch on my slide with the take down lever the first time I field stripped it, I hadnt even shot it yet!
The exact same thing happened to me. My buddy made the scratch trying to field strip it about 30 minutes after I bought it. As he tugged on the slide it ran into the take down lever.

Look right above the slide release...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I think that sounds great mac, how long is this special going to last? I am in the process of moving, and certainly need to get a steady address or P.O. box before I start expecting any mail this important. :) but it is definately on my to do list! Yeah that scratch looks really familiar, but it still shoots like a champ.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Another do it yourself gun coat is dura coat.www.lauerweaponry.com i thought about doing mine at one time but thiers nothing wrong with the finish on mine.Over 5000 rds through my 40 service still shooting like a champ.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi The Willis.....It's not really a special deal, just our normal price for a hand gun with a synthetic frame. We reduce the price on them a bit since we can not apply our finish to the frame due to the curing heat damaging it. Keep Yer Powder Dry, Mac.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts