Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:confused:
Newbie here, just purchased my XDM in 9mm and have a question about marks I recently noticed. I have put about 400 rounds through her, mostly hardball. I noticed the marks at the top of the barrel and the scratch at the ejector port. The top marks don't bother me so much, but the line at the ejection port stands out like a sore thumb to me. I hoped the finish on this gun would have been tougher. Anybody else have these??
Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
You have to use a photo hosting service, like photobucket in order for us to see the pictures. We dont have access to you computers desktop.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yes, this is normal wear.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Yeah... and that first pic, is just brass "ruboff" from ejected shells... I used to get these all over my pistol during uspsa matches... shells bounching off of stuff around me and bouncing off the slide... itll rub/buff off...

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Yep, normal.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Great answer! :twisted::twisted::twisted:

. . . unless you post up your IP address. . . and then we might take a look see. . . :twisted:

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
NORRRRRRMALLLLL...

i like to call them "character marks".....the more my Sig and XD get, the better i like em' :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Gents! Now time to reduce the population of 9mm hardball! At least buy some before Chairman Mao takes office.

·
Registered
7 Posts
so... what is the best way to remove the "ruboff"? I have a brand new xdm and am seeing the exact same markings around my ejection port. I tried copper solvent (Hoppe's bench rest 9), but it didn't really help it. do i have to soak the slide or something?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
You can't remove the "ruboff" because it is just that the finish rubbing off and the bare metal starting to show.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Normal. If you dont like it ya could polish that puppy...

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can't remove the "ruboff" because it is just that the finish rubbing off and the bare metal starting to show.
I'm confused... is this truly the finish being rubbed off the slide or is it deposits from the brass on top of the finish? if the finish is being rubbed off, that doesn't seem right to me. I only have 150 rounds through the thing. I understand that wear and tear happens and i didn't buy my xdm to win beauty contests, but i did expect the finish to hold up better than that. I also wouldn't think that normal use would cause damage to the finish like that.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
The marks on the top of the barrel is the finished being rubbed off. The mark on the slide is brass deposits from the shells the you can remove, use a nylon brush and solvent.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts