Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new XD40 owner in CA, so please bear with me. I've already searched the web and forums in an effort to answer question #1 but it's still not clear:

1) What kind of gun case should I get? I'm aware that I'm supposed to keep the gun in a locked case, but what kind of case qualifies? I'd like something that will meet the following requirements:
- Could keep the gun locked up at home or in my car
- CA legal
- Small enough to fit in a backpack or a range bag. (Would the range bag itself be legal if it can be locked?)
- Not made of steel. I'm pretty sure my local shooting range doesn't allow metal gun cases...

2) What is a "gun blanket" and why would I want one? Is it a rust inhibitor?

3) Is it ok to shoot targets on BLM land in CA? (ie. pumpkins, soda cans etc) (I'm pretty sure the answer is 'yes', but I'm hoping someone has recent experience)

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I'm not to sure about the CA Questions you are asking about, but welcome to the forum from CT.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm new XD40 owner in CA, so please bear with me. I've already searched the web and forums in an effort to answer question #1 but it's still not clear:

1) What kind of gun case should I get? I'm aware that I'm supposed to keep the gun in a locked case, but what kind of case qualifies? I'd like something that will meet the following requirements:
- Could keep the gun locked up at home or in my car
- CA legal
- Small enough to fit in a backpack or a range bag. (Would the range bag itself be legal if it can be locked?)
- Not made of steel. I'm pretty sure my local shooting range doesn't allow metal gun cases...

2) What is a "gun blanket" and why would I want one? Is it a rust inhibitor?

3) Is it ok to shoot targets on BLM land in CA? (ie. pumpkins, soda cans etc) (I'm pretty sure the answer is 'yes', but I'm hoping someone has recent experience)

Thanks!
First off welcome from up the 5 in Orange County!

Your supposed to keep your gun locked and out of reach of any children or unauthourized people.

You can only transport your gun in your vehicle for a few things. (IE going to from range, to/from a gunsmith, to/from hunting or fishing) You can't drive around in CA with a "trunk" gun.

You can keep it locked in a box (CA DOJ approved) or any bag that you can put a small padlock on. If you put a padlock on your range bag you are ok (as long as it is unloaded)

As for the gun "blanket", never heard of that. Just wipe down the metal with any gun oil periodically and it should be fine.

If you have any more questions feel free to PM me or ask on the boards.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You can only transport your gun in your vehicle for a few things. (IE going to from range, to/from a gunsmith, to/from hunting or fishing) You can't drive around in CA with a "trunk" gun.
Can you point me to a reference for this? I have never heard of this. I was under the impression, you can transport wherever in the State as long as it is unloaded and locked.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Well, I can't help you with you California questions. But, I can give you a big hello from Tennessee...patron state of shootin' stuff!

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
(hotwls13 OMG your in Bk.. sorry. I was there for a while working at the refinery on Fruitdale Hwy.) Anyways, yes LOCKED and unloaded while transporting. FISHING??? While I don't think you can use a firearm to fish with (legally), there is only a few places you can take you pistol. You can look up the laws on CA Guns Laws, someone probably already has the link. Make sure you study the CA law, its long and stupid...

Here; http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/cfl.pdf

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think this say's it all:

My interpretation is that you CAN legally transport a handgun anywhere that is legal within the state provided it is in a locked container and unloaded.

I think the limitations about going to and from the range etc is JUST for Registered Assault Weapons.

Traveling with Firearms in California - Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

HANDGUNS

California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.
The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.

·
Registered
79 Posts
(hotwls13 OMG your in Bk.. sorry. I was there for a while working at the refinery on Fruitdale Hwy.)
Yep, I'm in this HELL HOLE. Not to mention this State.

Thanks for the condolences. I have 14 more years on my SENTENCE (till retirement) then I can escape.

Though the way things are currently going, I'm tempted just to pack it up and move to a free state and become a Wal-Mart greeter. :D

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
(hotwls13 OMG your in Bk.. sorry. I was there for a while working at the refinery on Fruitdale Hwy.) Anyways, yes LOCKED and unloaded while transporting. FISHING??? While I don't think you can use a firearm to fish with (legally), there is only a few places you can take you pistol. You can look up the laws on CA Guns Laws, someone probably already has the link. Make sure you study the CA law, its long and stupid...

Here; http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/cfl.pdf
Note: the pdf you have linked is 2005. There is a 2007 version. Can't tell you what the changes are but FYI.

Note: Note: There are also 2008 changes on the right of page on the link I posted. Again, don't know what they are for sure, but they are not yet in booklet form. The legislature never sleeps......

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Welcome from Indiana!

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Welcome from Minnesota!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I believe you can shoot on BLM land as long as you are not near a road, inhabited dwelling/building, or if the land is set aside for some other specific purpose (like picnics).

In addition to XDTalk, you might poke around CalGuns.net. It is a California-specific firearms forum with MANY knowledgeable members.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Nick, good catch, I was doing a quick search and that was the first link I seen and didn't read it. Good job!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts