Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I am going to buuy a Dillion 650XL with the case feeder and mayber even the bullet feeder.
Oh, you are? Do you plan on doing a lot (read 1,000+/month) of reloading? If not, I recommend you consider a smaller, less complicated, less expensive press setup. If you plan on reloading just to keep yourself in cheap ammo, you might want to look at some of the turret or smaller progressives from Lee, RCBS, and others. You'd be surprised what you can do with some of them. If you're planning on reloading for resale, I wouldn't, for many reasons - liability and insurance being the main one.

From my experience - if you get too automated, you lose quality in that you don't inspect as often as you should. I run a Lee turret. I prime off press, insert the shell by hand, and set the bullets manually. That gives me at least three check points where I look at and touch each case. Using a powder-thru die, I visually check each powder load as the turret comes around. I have no trouble keeping up with what I shoot up each week.

As for manuals, I recommend the Lyman's #49 and "The ABC's of Reloading". These are excellent.

I pick up my brass at the range. I've bought some from individuals online. I really see no need to buy new brass.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
You can buy a different turret head for each caliber, and maintain your die settings.
That's what I do with my Lee turret. I have a separate turret for each caliber - dies already mounted, adjusted, and locked down. Just twist one out and twist another in, change the shell holder and I'm good to go. I use a single stage with a shortened stroke and universal deprimer to deprime and prime with a Lee hand primer. It's not as slick or fast as a big progressive, but there is less stuff to hang up or go out of adjustment. As I mentioned earlier, it gives me several opportunities to inspect the loads during the process.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.