Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
and while I'm no crack shot, I'd have to say I'm not bad. I jumped a bit with my first shot, but the kick was what I was expecting event though I've never shot a hand gun before today. I was amazed at how low my shots were compared to where I was aiming, but I've read that that's a common thing for beginners. I tried actually using the pin as my sight/looking through the tail, that didn't work so well. It seemed that when I raised the gun higher and aimed down that I had the best shots. I welcome myself to the learning.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow, 50 some views, and no "hey congrats on popping your cherry," "this is how to correct the aiming," or anything. I'm a bit disappointed.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Wow, 50 some views, and no "hey congrats on popping your cherry," "this is how to correct the aiming," or anything. I'm a bit disappointed.
Well...you gets what you pay for :rolleyes: Typically asking an actual question will get a response....

You were shooting low and to the left? You mentioned low but not the left part. Typically new shooters will shoot low and to the left. You simply need to work on your form and trigger pull.

If you want to see why you are not hitting what you are aiming at, get some snap-caps and have a friend load a magazine full of live ammo and put one snap-cap into the mix somewhere. When you hit the dummy round you will probably be surprised at how much you jerk your arm and wave the gun around even though you get no push from the weapon. Its a good method to show 'the flinch'.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, so that's why I saw someone else mention putting snap caps in randomly to "keep him honest."

I'd say that I was low and center...I had to look at my targets, but I didn't notice anything terribly prominent.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
You are anticipating the recoil and jerking the trigger, that will be obvious when you use random snap caps. Shooting hand guns is not as easy as the movies. You need to do a search on grip, sight picture, and stance then practice, practice, practice. :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aye. I came across the "combat grip" article after getting bored and clicking on the springer precision link. Makes sense. Can't wait to try it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts