Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up a XD-40 V-10 in 2 more days!!!

I want to know what the difference between the one I got, and the "M" version is. Its "match", but are the parts interchangeable? If the difference is extreme, I might apply the money I have put down towards the purchase of the better weapon.

Just wondering, and thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I am picking up a XD-40 V-10 in 2 more days!!!

I want to know what the difference between the one I got, and the "M" version is. Its "match", but are the parts interchangeable? If the difference is extreme, I might apply the money I have put down towards the purchase of the better weapon.

Just wondering, and thank you in advance.
The general rule about matched parts is that they are "Matched" for a particular gun. In other words they are fitted to provide the least amount of free play. So they may be interchangable but they will no longer be "Matched". They could be too tight and not function at all or be loose and sloppy when installed in a different gun. When you purchase a "Matched" barrel it will generally be oversized and have to be fitted to your slide before it can be used.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Are you talking about the difference between an XD-40 and an XD-M?

Don't know for a fact but wouldn't be surprised if parts were not interchangeable between those two models. Barrels might be but magazines are different, frame sizes are different, etc.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
XDm-40 owner here. One, you won't find any Major parts interchageability between the XD-40 and XDm-40. Different slide and barrel lengths means that barrels will not interchange and the difference in field stripping means that internal components are probably mostly different. However, I suspect that there may be some small bits that are shared between the 2 lines. In addition, the magazines for the XDm are 0.050 inch wider than those for the XD series, which means that magazines cannot be swapped between the 2 platforms. What does interchange between the 2 platforms is the sights, sights for an XD work just fine on an XDm.

As for the differences between the XD and the XDm, in my opinion the XDm was designed specifally as a "match" gun for action shooting matches. In many ways it's an XD with a trigger job and a larger capacity magazine. As for accuracy, both lines offer more accuracy potential than most are capable of taking advantage of. It will take many years of practice before the accuracy of either pistol would present a limitation and that would only be apparent in long range Silhouette or Bulls Eye match shooting.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Just curious. What are you using your XD for? Is it for target shooting, comp, or for personal protection. If it's for protection, I wouldn't get a ported pistol. You should never shoot one without eye protection, and they stink to shoot at night.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First off, thanks for the good info on the "m"

Second I am using the gun as everything. I have been shooting my 1956 gen 1 Ruger Blackhawk for over a year every weekend. I get the same back/up blast from a revolver. When I fire it at night, It blows out of the cylinder worse then these ports ever will.

I will be using the gun for all around weekly shooting practice, home defense, and concealed carrying. I will put about 100-200 rounds a week through it for sure for at least the next year (my friend and I just built a range in his back yard)

The only time that I will fire it at night, is in an emergency situation, and I will have a Streamlight TLR-1 on it. I am sure that it wont blind me with that lighting up the target.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
357 Posts
It may be about the same, but the ports put it more into your field of view. However, you may be right about using the light, the flash may not be a problem using it. I have never tried a ported gun with a white light mounted.
I can tell you that the XDm is more accurate [at least in 9mm] than a service model XD, at least in my experience.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I can tell you that the XDm is more accurate [at least in 9mm] than a service model XD, at least in my experience.
In all likelihood there may be a reason you shoot the XDm better than you shoot the XD, but unless you've test fired them on a bench rest I rather doubt the average shooter would be able to tell the difference. 8)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, As I said in another post, I bought this firearm blind. I did not know anything about it. If Its as awesome as I think it is, I will be picking up another within a few months (just got the job of a lifetime). If I do get another, it will be a .45. So time will tell.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts