Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just purchased my first handgun and am very pleased with it so far. i have a question about it though. when the slide is chambered back i've noticed that the barrel moves a little bit. not a whole lot, it just shifts position and clinks. then once the weapon is rechambered it is immobile again. is this something common and i'm just an idiot for noticing a normal detail of a handgun?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Take your gun apart (as shown in the manual) and you'll probably be able to figure it out.

The barrel and slide are locked together when the gun is 'in battery' (means cocked with a cartridge in the chamber and ready to fire). When the gun is fired, recoil moves the slide/barrel unit backwards. After a short amount of travel, the cam on the underside of the barrel (take it apart and you'll see what I'm referring to) engages the post on the takedown lever, causing the barrel to drop slightly. When the barrel drops, the slide can continue moving backwards (over the top of the dropped down barrel), eject the spent shell, and then the recoil spring will force the slide forward to reload and recock the gun.

Hard to explain but, as I said, take the gun apart and you should be able to figure out what is going on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok i understand. yeah, i've stripped it down a couple times and i figured it was a normal action. i was just a little concerned because i bought the firearm used and wanted to make sure it was in perfect working order.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Rest easy that is normal operation for this type of semi-auto. The barrel releases and tilt down in back to aid in loading the next round.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts