Springfield XD Forum banner

Noob Price & Type questions

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Wiz_Skins_Os 
#1 ·
Hello,

I apologize in advance if I should have placed this in a thread that was already started or a different section of the forum. I live in Northern Virginia and am looking to buy my first handgun I have decided on either an XD or XDM 9mm. I have called around and the lowest price I have been told for a all black XDM is $679 (i am assuming that is before taxes). I would like to keep it to around $600 after taxes. My questions to yall are

1) if i can find an XD 9mm for around 450 is the XDM really worth the extra money for a first time handgun owner?

2) Any advice on good deals in Northern Virginia gun shops? (after a little research and calling around Virginia Arms has the best deal so far)

3) Is the price they give me on the phone final or are stores usually good about haggling? If I go in and say I will buy this gun right now for 625 out the door will I get a favorable reply or will I get a get the eff out reply?

Thanks in advance for your help I, expect photos as soon as I make my purchase!

See less See more
#2 ·
All gun stores have different attitudes about haggling over the price. Some expect it, and price accordingly,and others are firm on the price marked. It's not going to hurt to try. as far as prices go, they are kinda all over the place right now due to demand. I can tell you that in the Harrisonburg Virginia area, the all black is going for $600.

As far as the XDm being worth the difference in price, I like the XDm much better than the XD, and have already bought 2 of the XDm 9mm's. I liked the XD, but the changes in the XDm is what made me decide to buy.

#3 ·
Welcome to the forums Wiz_Skins_Os.

I'm in the NE Illinois area. My local GS just had their December "one day" sale this last weekend. All black XDm 9mm and .40S&W were on sale for $615, while the bi-tone XDm 9mm and .40S&W were $660... both all-blacks and bi-tones included the Springfield night sights and the XD Gear package.

I wasn't looking for a straight XD (got mine last year) but my recollection is XD bi-tones normally go for around $560 (not on special) here. Standard 3-dot sights, with XD Gear package.

Re prices over the phone and haggling over price... around here most places do not like to give prices over the phone, and when they do it often does not match what they will tell you face-to-face. I always ask if that's the best they can do price-wise, and it often pays off!

#4 ·
Got a Cabela's near by? I got mine last weekend, $573 out the door. This was $100 off for getting a Cabela's credit card, 12 months no intrest.

Check Gunbroker.com, Buds Guns, Gilberts here on XD talk. They can ship it to any store with an FFL. The store will charge you a $25 transfer fee for brokering the deal.

Go for the XDM, it's a cool pistol, with the changable backstraps, it fits all size hands.

just my opinion.

#5 ·
Thanks for the help a guy from the site referred me to a dealer and I got a XDM 9mm black for $640 out the door which is significantly lower than the places I called around to. Plus the guy was really nice and helpful on the phone so I don't mind helping out a mom and pop place and paying a little more than what ppl are saying is a good deal. Can't wait and I know "pictures or it didn't happen" I will post up as soon as it arrives.

#7 ·
I just got a 9mm. Much different than the .45 but both are highly appealing to me. No way I think you can find an XDm for $450. Even used. These are are hot selling items and with the two extra mag offer, I could only find two at a local show this past weekend. Lowest price won out: $575. Generally I am more patient and would wait until the price moves down with demand being taken out. However, how long before the Fed Gov issues another ban that kills high cap mags for another ten years? I am not waiting to find out. Already on order are spares from SA.

I have been a Glock man for many years but after shooting the .45XD I was ready to sell the Glocks. Don't get me wrong. Glock makes one of the best handguns in the world but the XD just fits my hand better and the XDm is a lot more accurate than I can shoot with no FTF yet.

#8 ·
I know I wouldn't be able to find an XDM for 450 I was conisdering just getting an XD for around that price and saving some money. I found a good vendor though and will take the hit of $200 more dollars for the high cap mag and other improvements. I am so giddy right now I cant wait until it gets here!!!

#12 ·
I guess I kinda got screwed on my .40 purchase. I paid $660 for mine and it is all black. Sounds to me like that is the price for the bi-tone models. Oh well, I still love it and it was only about a $45 difference from what some of you guys paid for your solid black models.

#13 ·
I guess I kinda got screwed on my .40 purchase. I paid $660 for mine and it is all black. Sounds to me like that is the price for the bi-tone models. Oh well, I still love it and it was only about a $45 difference from what some of you guys paid for your solid black models.
Ouch! Did you buy from a local dealer? I called around to the local shops before buying and the prices on a black 9mm XDm ranged from $25 to $60 more than what I ended up paying at Budsgunshop.com (including the FFL transfer fee I'll end up paying...)

I had one dealer tell me he was out of stock and probably couldn't order it for me... ?? Of course, maybe he was thinking "in time for Christmas" :-/

#15 · (Edited)
Ouch! Did you buy from a local dealer? I called around to the local shops before buying and the prices on a black 9mm XDm ranged from $25 to $60 more than what I ended up paying at Budsgunshop.com (including the FFL transfer fee I'll end up paying...)

I had one dealer tell me he was out of stock and probably couldn't order it for me... ?? Of course, maybe he was thinking "in time for Christmas" :-/
Maybe so.:D Oh well, it was my first gun buying experience and I didn't even know what I was looking for when I walked in the store when it came to a handgun. I found the shotgun I wanted (Remington 870 Express) but I didn't have a clue about handguns. It seems as if I made a wise choice even without the help of the guy behind the counter. I made the choice based on the feel of the gun and the capacity. He let me hold and feel a similar Glock but I didn't like the grip angle on it. It didn't feel natural enough to me.

Reliability wasn't really a concern to me but it seems as if I have purchased one of the most reliable handguns around in my XDm. I read the torture test for the XD and I am impressed to say the least. I will probably never fire 20,000 rounds through it in my lifetime. I will only go to the range once or twice a month in all likelihood and I'll only fire a few full mags at a time. The only other use for it would be self/home defense but hopefully I'll never have to use it in that capacity.

#16 ·
They way I see it as long as your happy and didn’t have to take a loan out then what you paid doesn't really matter. Is it nice to pay a lower price, of course especially in this economy. But what really matters is your satisfied with your purchase what is an extra $50-100 but a couple weeks of no starbucks. Congrats on your purchase! I know if you are anywhere near as excited as I am to hit the range with your new XDM you must be pretty excited!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.