Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm kinda new here. I've put alot of rounds through my xdm 3.8 9mm in the last three weeks. And it's definitely time to clean it. But I don't know how? What to clean? where? What to use? Oil? Everything ha ha. thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
642 Posts
Your manual should tell you where to clean or at least oil points. Big things to do is to clean out the barrel with the wire brush (I dip mine into solvent), then put a oil dipped patch through, then keep putting clean patches through until they come out white. Then you want to wiped down the out side of the barrel with some oil, around the extraction points, feed ramp and area around there, etc. remember not to use too much oil because that can gum up your gun. Ummmm I usually then wipe down the outside of the gun as well, inside where I place the mag, outside of mags. If i miss anything would anyone like to point it out please.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Can you guys give me a detailed list on all the equipment. And oil and stuff I will need?
Your easiest route would be some Hoppes #9, a toothbrush, some gun scrubber or non-chlorinated brake cleaner, and a bore snake.

Everyone has their preference when it comes to cleaning, but if you're removing the powder fouling/bullet remnants (copper/lead) from the places suggested in the (above) videos, and applying some lube when you're done cleaning ... You're on the right track.

Where are you located ?
Perhaps a member will be close enough to offer some hands on advice.

Oh, and
Welcome to the forum !!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Your manual should tell you where to clean or at least oil points....
Negative on the XDM manual...field strip instructions then straight to reassembly, no oil points, nothing mentioned about cleaning in detail.

Another thing is that virtually everyone has a different method for cleaning/oiling their gun, and it varies widely, particularly from those that have been in extended combat or dealt with (non)serviced rental guns and know how far a reasonably reliable weapon can actually be pushed before malfunction, to those like me who clean within 24 hrs. of every firing.

My opinions: Those youtube videos above are a good start, but those people have some equipment or environment that you might not have. There are a huge variety of reputable products available, and there are a lot of options in methods/tools/chemicals. If you start with a good cleaning kit (from your local gun shop or, I think, even Wal-Mart) and keep reading & investigating, you'll be able to settle on the products you prefer.

Modern weapons need very little oil/lubrication to function well, and too much lubrication can be a bad thing. Start with only very lightly oiling visible/obvious wear points until you have accumulated enough reliable information to lubricate differently. It's probably a bad idea to lubricate any spring other than the guide rod/spring, unless you regularly do a *complete* disassembly and thorough cleaning.

I put an extremely thin coat of lubrication inside the barrel and have also been told by a former Quantico RM that it is unnecessary with modern jacketed ammunition. I do it anyway, because no one can voodoo the voodoo you do...

To me, gun cleaning is very relaxing, so I take my time with it. But, I know very experienced people who give their weapons the most rudimentary swipe every 500-1000 rounds or so. [shrugs]

·
Registered
64 Posts
Bore snake is a good investment for a quick clean if only shooting a few rounds. I personally go nuts when I cleam my gun every time I shoot I go home and Clean it but I bought the Bore snake for the late nights I get home from the Range or where ever. just to clean the barrel out... but I also use Hoppes #9 and Hoppes Lube and I buy a bunch of cotton patches to use also. Get them in bulk saves trips to the store and also won't run out as fast my I use will work for all my pistols and rifles exept the 22 I just cut them in half and they work.

I also field strip clean mine everytime I shoot. @ a 1000 rounds I will do a detail strip and soak Havn't made it there just yet almost lol

·
Registered
642 Posts
Negative on the XDM manual...field strip instructions then straight to reassembly, no oil points, nothing mentioned about cleaning in detail.

Another thing is that virtually everyone has a different method for cleaning/oiling their gun, and it varies widely, particularly from those that have been in extended combat or dealt with (non)serviced rental guns and know how far a reasonably reliable weapon can actually be pushed before malfunction, to those like me who clean within 24 hrs. of every firing.

My opinions: Those youtube videos above are a good start, but those people have some equipment or environment that you might not have. There are a huge variety of reputable products available, and there are a lot of options in methods/tools/chemicals. If you start with a good cleaning kit (from your local gun shop or, I think, even Wal-Mart) and keep reading & investigating, you'll be able to settle on the products you prefer.

Modern weapons need very little oil/lubrication to function well, and too much lubrication can be a bad thing. Start with only very lightly oiling visible/obvious wear points until you have accumulated enough reliable information to lubricate differently. It's probably a bad idea to lubricate any spring other than the guide rod/spring, unless you regularly do a *complete* disassembly and thorough cleaning.

I put an extremely thin coat of lubrication inside the barrel and have also been told by a former Quantico RM that it is unnecessary with modern jacketed ammunition. I do it anyway, because no one can voodoo the voodoo you do...

To me, gun cleaning is very relaxing, so I take my time with it. But, I know very experienced people who give their weapons the most rudimentary swipe every 500-1000 rounds or so. [shrugs]
Thank you for correcting me I am still saving up for an XD(m), but yes you are exactly right. the videos are a great start, everyone does it a little different. I also find the cleaning to be a fun thing to do after i shoot. i clean it after every shooting period just because i like to do it, and do it to my standards.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have started using a product called Centerfire CLR. It's one of the new brands of cleaner, lube, and protector all in one. I've seen a bunch of tests and studies on this stuff and it not only cleans everything short of really heaving leading, but it protects metal like the dickens. I'm not sure what the website is but if you search for Centerfire Cleaning Solutions you should be able to find it pretty easily. Also, I would recommend going to your local hardware store and getting some microfiber towels. They pick up gunk really well and they don't leave any lint.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Just a thought, ladies and gents. Before I go to the range I field-strip all the weapons I'm going to take and give them a light oiling. Does it help? Well, my theory is is can't hurt, and as some of you have said, I find maintaining my weapons relaxing.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
so this may be a dumb question but is rem oil and the break free the same thing? are they both solvents? or both oils? thats the only part im confused on. like do you clean it with breakfree then use rem OIL to lube it, or rem oil first then BF? thats the only thing im a little confused on.

right now i have all the cleaning supplies mentioned above. the only thing i dont have is the BF. so am i good to clean the guns with nothing but Rem Oil, or do i need something in addition to the Rem Oil? you see where i am going with this?

·
Registered
18 Posts
so this may be a dumb question but is rem oil and the break free the same thing? are they both solvents? or both oils? thats the only part im confused on. like do you clean it with breakfree then use rem OIL to lube it, or rem oil first then BF? thats the only thing im a little confused on.

right now i have all the cleaning supplies mentioned above. the only thing i dont have is the BF. so am i good to clean the guns with nothing but Rem Oil, or do i need something in addition to the Rem Oil? you see where i am going with this?
Break-Free is a brand encompassing a variety of different products, none of which I use, so I can't be much help. Some of their products incorporate a lubricant component. The Rem Oil is straight lubricant = last (sparingly applied) step.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts