Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only been reloading for a few months. I ran across these Berry's Bullets, 185gr hbrn, at Sportsmans for a good price. I'm wondering what the purpose of the hollow base and will they work in my XD?? I can only find references to Hollow Base bullets in cowboy caliber shooting.

185 GR HBRN-DS

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
100 Posts
IIRC, they are called 'boat tails', and increase the accuracy of some calibers.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've only been reloading for a few months. I ran across these Berry's Bullets, 185gr hbrn, at Sportsmans for a good price. I'm wondering what the purpose of the hollow base and will they work in my XD?? I can only find references to Hollow Base bullets in cowboy caliber shooting.

185 GR HBRN-DS

Thanks for your help.

Hollow base are just that: a hollow cavity in the base. There may even be a reason beyond that's just how they're made-whatever. They will work just fine in your XD, or any other pistol of proper caliber.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
boat tail bullets have a "boat tail" like profile on the rear portion of the bullet...doesn't effect the base. Hollow base bullets usually mean better accuracy since they expand into the rifling more readily.

TBH, never seen it in a FMJ bullet.
This is correct. The original HB design was to allow a bit more powder room w/ heavier/longer bullets & to aid in accuracy. In facct, the first HB design were slightly under sized for muzzle loading. It made them easier to load & the accuracy could still be had by the expanding "skirt". The HB "skirt" expands to better fill the bore. They should work fine in the XD.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts