Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the mag followers on my Colt Defender Mags. I read that the metal followers will bur the ramp and cause jambs. Anyone know where to find the new non-metal followers? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I need to replace the mag followers on my Colt Defender Mags. I read that the metal followers will bur the ramp and cause jambs. Anyone know where to find the new non-metal followers? Thanks
Does the Defender use a single stack 1911 mag or a double stack? I know it is a compact but the capacity says 7+1...?

If it is a single stack 1911 mag, Check out the Tripp Research "Cobra Mag" hybrid followers. They are polymer where they contact the mag and firearm except for a steel insert where the slide lock catches the follower on the last round. Keeps the follower from getting chewed up from extensive use.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I'd try to replace them with Wilson mags. Yes, they're more expensive, but I have a few Wilsons that are over 10 years old and still run great.

You pay more for the Wilson mags...but they will last a very long time and have a lifetime guarantee.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
2,243 Posts

i know this is a problem with certain mags, i heard CMC followers come up a bit and smacks the feed ramp.

i replaced one of my stock defender mags with the tripp follower and spring kit.. it turned my 7 round mag into a 6 round mag, and started to have feeding issues, and a stove pipe on the last round in the mag.

i went back to the stock follower and that went away.. maybe the tripp mags themselves are better, but i had no luck using their follower in my defender OEM mags.

the wilson 47's should work fine in the defender, i havnt had a problem with mine yet. though i only got to run a few mags worth through my defender my last range trip out as i was busy with my AR. i plan on going back out with my defender and its new wilson mags asap.

you sure you need to replace the follower? if so contact Colt and see if they will send you a couple.. my two oem defender mags have fed a couple thousand through my defender with no apparent problems, you just might need to order a new spring:)

cheers

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I am having no issues, I just read that the metal followers will damage the ramp on the pistol. Maybe I should just not believe everything that I read.
ah, okay i get you here.. yes do belive some of what you read.. but if your using the OEM colt mags, are your followers orange? if so thats a coating to help prevent the wear on the feed ramp.

I picked up some Wilson Combat 47 officers mags for mine to use at the range, and i'll carry with my colt OEMs, as i know they feed 100%, and i fully trust them... while i trust the Wilsons, i figured since at the range my defender and commander take some serious punishment (500 rounds strait through till i'm out of ammo usually) i'd switch to the plastic followers for that:)

cheers

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So your suggestion would be for me to use my Cobra Mags which have the plastic followers at the range and carry with the standard Colt Mags. I can do that with no problem.

My Colt Mags have a metal that looks like brushed stainless follower.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
So your suggestion would be for me to use my Cobra Mags which have the plastic followers at the range and carry with the standard Colt Mags. I can do that with no problem.

My Colt Mags have a metal that looks like brushed stainless follower.
Tripp Research has followers to purchase as "Upgrades" to your old mags. Check em out on their website.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts