Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Or, so says the guy behind the counter at my local shooting range. Actually, that was the second store rep to tell me that in the same week (the other being at a different store) as I tried to sell my Glock 21. "Everybody is buying compact nines," they said. This made some sense to me since that was my motivation to sell the 21 - to buy a compact nine. That being said, at the second store I went to, just as the rep was treating my 21 like a timeshare, the customer standing next to me offered $400 cash which was more that I was expecting to get. SOLD! Nobody is buying full size 45s.... except that guy. Anyone else run into this issue? I've heard the same thing about 40s. Some reps saying they can't give them away; however, I keep seeing manufacturers like Springfield issue new products in 40.

·
Read Only
1,065 Posts
It's hard to reply to this without offending someone I think. I will say that 9 MM seems to be very popular these days.

Myself, give me a full size .45 any day of the week.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Nobody wants to buy or pay a fair price for whatever you’re selling. Go in there with a 9 and they would say “well, we could give more if it was .45...”

·
Registered
29,825 Posts
Nobody wants to buy or pay a fair price for whatever you’re selling. Go in there with a 9 and they would say “well, we could give more if it was .45...”
Well, here’s the thing about selling/trading into a gun shop...

The price has to be fair to them, too.

They have to make a profit on it, and a decent profit at that, just to cover overhead.

So, if, say, they can sell a used gun for $400 (“what it’s worth”, according to the market), they aren’t going to give you $400 for it. They probably won’t give you $300 for it, either; $250 would probably be the best you could hope for.

It’s pretty simple economics. The solution is, do the legwork yourself—put it on Armslist, or something similar, and you’ll get closer to market price. If you don’t want to do that, well, then you’re kinda stuck.

@Man of Leisure

Gun shops on this area really aren’t buying anything used—particularly plastic fantastics—either, no matter the caliber...one of the reasons is that the market is glutted right now. We came of a period of 8 years of panic buying, and suddenly that threat was removed. New gun prices are at their lowest in years. You can get a new Shield for under $250, with rebates...etc.

With new prices that low, it’s pretty hard for used guns to compete...

You did good to get $400 for a used G21; you can get new ones for under $500, and AIM had trade in Gen4 G21’s with night sights for $359, iirc—which brings me to another reason used prices are low; your gun shop is competing against online sellers, as well...

In short, don’t expect much for used guns for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Just bought a new XD 5" Tactical in .45 acp about 3 or 4 months back. A month later my youngest son ordered one just like it.

Great pistols. I carry mine every day out and around the yard/garage/dog pens, etc.

There is no way I'd trade something in to a dealer. A couple years back I was thinking, sort of, about how nice those 5" S&W 629's with the 686 looking barrels were. I've got a 4" M29 that is awesome and thought that particular 629 would be another awesome .44. Took my big old 10" heavy/vent rib stainless Dan Wesson to the gun shows twice. It's still in the original box with the cleaning stuff, manual, etc.

What did they offer me? $300. I laughed and those guys and walked away. Some guy that was standing there watching walked up and offered me $400 and I laughed at him, too.

And no, I'm not selling it. I promised it to my youngest son. Just reinforcing that gun dealers are right there next to car dealers.

What you've got ain't worth much. What they've got is worth a fortune.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I bought a MOD-2 compact and it has been flawless with everything I put in it.
I then bought a MOD-2 Tactical for the range, it runs flawless also Ho-Hum.....
Hindsight I would not have bought the tactical and I should have got a 1911.

·
Registered
9,901 Posts
Like many others, I personally have my fill of plastic-framed pistols and barring an anomaly (unbelievable deal on something I really want... $300 HK45, for instance), I'll turn my focus back to where it was before my ex wife stole and sold my modest collection.
Compact 9s are great, but how many can you use? I have several, but only carry one at a time. Unlike a quality revolver, 1911, BHP, CZ, etc, ,they're like appliances*... one will get you through your day just fine.
I've heard the same thing about 40s. Some reps saying they can't give them away; however, I keep seeing manufacturers like Springfield issue new products in 40.
The internet glitterati have declared the .40 dead because, well... they're real smart. The cops stopped using it so it must be crap.
Fact is, the .40 was and still is a viable round that many people own and use, myself included... I usually carry a PPS Classic (M1) in .40, although today I have my PPS M2 9mm w me.
The factors involved in LE agencies going back to 9mm never get near the .40 being a bad SD round. However, the sudden switch has glutted the market w relatively cheap, top quality 40 cal handguns from PD turn-ins (good buys on duty-sized 45s too). The volume-buys by larger online retail outfits put these things on the market so low that no LGS can hope to compete.
It's not that people aren't buying big .45s, or .40s... it's just that they're not buying them from him.

*I do have a backup coffee maker too, just in case the worst happens.

·
Registered
949 Posts
It's hard to reply to this without offending someone I think. I will say that 9 MM seems to be very popular these days.

Myself, give me a full size .45 any day of the week.
I cut my teeth in handguns on a G22 and two XD 4” guns, one in .40 and the other .45. Back then when I was that young and strapping, if it was bigger, it was better. Taking (and unintended) semi long term hiatus from “guns” might have been a good thing for me.

I still have all but the G22 in my possession, but the decision to go to 9 was a good one for me. I haven’t shopped .45 or .40 online, but it seems in WM that .40 is around 1.5x the price of 9, and .45 near double. This was not the case when I turned 21 and got into handguns.

I still find that XD45 dang comfortable to shoot, and it fits me well. I don’t have huge paws, but even the double stack Para 1911 isn’t unmanageable. (A G21 is one that just flat doesn’t fit me, though)

I stopped in a gun store I hadn’t been in for a long time. He stated that most folks want way too much for their used guns and want to nickel and dime on new ones. I freely admit I screwed myself on guns recently because I just started buying, and I was thinking of prices ten years ago, and thought I did ok.

After encountering a broken extractor on my work truck console gun yesterday, I think I may be in for something different, namely a wheel gun since it’s potentially a forgotten about gun that doesn’t get cleaned as often as it should. However, I can’t stomach practically giving away the one I have now, even if I never carried it again.

·
Banned
8,213 Posts
My last two hand gun purchases were both 45 cal.
My shield and my SW 4516-2 3rd gen. Prior to those the last two were both 40 cal.
My shield 40 and a 4006 SW gen3.
Currently own 0 9mm and have no plans to buy any.

Next pistol on my list is a SW MP mod2 compact in 40 cal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
I buy what I like, my main calibers are 9mm & .45

Glocks are so low priced brand new, I never look at used ones, I rather pay the extra $100 for a brand new unmodified factory original with warranty, too many people polish parts, install non factory parts, and do modifications, no way Im buying a messed up gun like that, with a home made stippling job or they may have ground off material under the trigger guard or magazine release, those are worthless to me, I only buy brand new.

modern mass produced polymer pistols have a low resale value, you should only buy to use, not good for investment, you will never get your money back on a used polymer, when you can go buy a new one yourself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts