Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a few of you know when I got my Shield I was having issues field stripping it, I sent it back to S&W and now it field strips very easily. I took it out to the range along with my XDs .45. My wife and I shot 134 total rounds through the Shield. The first 50 rounds were Tula, I had 0 issues with it, however my wife had one failure to eject. Then we shot 50 rounds of federal champion, we both had 0 failures with it. After this we shot 34 rounds of 147 grain Federal HST. My wife had another failure to eject with it and so did I. However, when I had mine, I was holding it one handed weak hand. I'm sure the issues were due to limp wristing. Only thing that worries my a bit, is that a guy on Defensive Carry posted a range report of a NTS Shield and he had 0 issues with his bulk ammo and also had one failure to eject out of 50 rounds with Federal HST 147 grain.... I had 0 issues with the XDs out of 74 rounds, 50 with WWB and 24 rounds of 230 grain Gold also shot one handed weak hand with the XDs.

Do you guys think the 147 grain Federal HST may be a little heavy for the Shield? I am going to order some more, but I'm not sure if I should order the 124 grain of 147 grain.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Well, each pistol is a universe unto itself, so what works in one may not work in another. That being said, 147gr Ranger-T (non-bonded) works great in my Shield, so does 124gr +p HST.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Mine likes 124+P Gold Dots.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
The 147 isn't to heavy at all for a 3 inch barrel. I don't have a Shield but it could be a number of things, from shooter to ammo.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's probably shooter error. Only happened once when I was shooting week hand and when my wife shot it.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
I have trouble clearing max oal 147s never an issue feeding or firing though. Solve before you Carry

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Premium Member
18,061 Posts
I've used Federal HST 124, 124+P, and 147 in my Shield with no issues.

Lots of tests with each of these in short-barrel semi-autos.

Sent from the county jail.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
in completing 400 rounds through my Shield 40, I had one failure to feed but again that occurred when I changed over to weak hand and limp wristing is my only explanation.

This was over a 6 month trial period before I felt confident to use it as a carry. Using federal as well as 200 rounds of reloads.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts