1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Can you buy an assembled AR at 18?

·
Registered
133 Posts
So this nation's young men and women can operate said weapons in defense of this country but will not be able to buy parts for them?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I think some one in the Gubment got wind of the pistol variant.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I'd like to see something that shows this as well ...

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
The deadline to use the new 4473 was supposed to have been November 15, but has been delayed to be mandantory for Jan 15th 2009 because not all of the FFL's have recieved the new forms yet (I'm in that boat).

I think their reasoning (though illogical) is that a stripped lower can be assembled into pistol form by the buyer, which as we know PISTOLS can't be sold to anyone under 21 years old.

With that said, that's what the new rule is for stripped recievers/frames. Not to be sold to anyone under 18, but I have heard there are many other changes to the 4473. A lot of which I'm hearing is negative.

Especially the checkbox of responses to the background check from NICS before were proceed (approved) delayed (up to 3 days), or Denied.

Now, there is also a checkbox that the NICS agent can CANCEL the purchase.:shock:

I'm going to be calling the local ATF branch tomorrow to ask them about the changes and especially to find out what would constitute a CANCEL response and to gripe to them because I didn't receive the notice to use new forms, nor have I received any.

Someone asked for a link to the info and new form. Here ya go.
ATF Online - ESF-13 Baton Rouge, La.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
If the lower is assembled with a stock and pistol grip it can be sold to someone 18. I just talked with my local store about that yesterday when doing the paperwork for my lower.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If the lower is assembled with a stock and pistol grip it can be sold to someone 18. I just talked with my local store about that yesterday when doing the paperwork for my lower.
That makes sense.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
So do you still have to specify long gun or handgun? I thought you specifically had to have an AR lower transferred as a handgun to build a pistol, but it seems now that a lower is a lower and not specified until something's built out of it?

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
i wonder if JUST a stock attached to it would qualify since then it would be illegal to make into a pistol regardless of age.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
So do you still have to specify long gun or handgun? I thought you specifically had to have an AR lower transferred as a handgun to build a pistol, but it seems now that a lower is a lower and not specified until something's built out of it?
There is a new box to check that says "Parts" or something to that effect.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
mos tpeople will transfer it as a pisto l just to be safe but i THINK (not KNOW) that as long as its virgin it can be what ever you want.

on the discription it says "even if it can be made ONLY into a long gun it still cannot be tranfered to persons under 21"
thats in sec. B question 18, its on the bottom left hand corner of page 5 of 6

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
So is there some law or regulation that prohibits minors from working on/building a gun, or is this more overreaching BATFE opinion-becomes-law crap?

I mean, what's keeping them from coming out with another form that requires the buyer to submit fingerprints, or transaction fee, or requires you to be 150 years old to be a handgun transferee?

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
If someone age 18-20 wants a stripped lower they can still have someone "gift" it to them.

Assuming that complies with state laws, of course.
yup in idaho you cant buy a handgun when your 18 but you CAN own one, it uscks because then you cant buy ammo unless its used in rifles also. i remember being able to buy 9mm when i was 18 but when i wanted 380 ammo they wouldnt let me. its the same round just less powerful! GRRRRRR but at least im 22 now so no more worrying about that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
yes you can have them gift to you. the only way I obtained my lower a couple weeks ago was an early christmas present from my dad. :cool:

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Update:

OK, here's what I found out.
The cancel response is for when someone checks the wrong yes/no answer block when asking about their history or for an alien without enough paperwork, etc. Only NICS can cancel a transfer. The FFL cannot. Once the background check is started, it cannot be stopped by anyone except the agent.
The Unique ID number is for people who repeatedly get delayed/denied response in error. They have to fill out fingerprint cards, etc that basically gives the ATF permission to keep their info and stuff on file for more than 24 hours after doing repeated failed background checks due to a nonqualifying event they're not responsible for.
And finally, disappointing news to the young folks. I don't agree with their determination about lower recievers/frames, but it doesn't just count for stripped lowers as we thought according to the agent I spoke to this evening.

Even complete lowers CANNOT be sold to anyone under 18.

Basically if it's not an assembled rifle at the time of purchase, it's still just a reciever and not to be sold to anyone under 21 period. No if's and's or but's about it. If it's not a complete (long) gun, it's still just a receiver and falls under the "not for sale under 21" thing.

Now it's all or nothing for ages under 21 according to the agent I spoke with on the phone this evening. I don't agree with it, but that's what they told me.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Wow thats just stupid:rolleyes:...... I have a lower in my name anyways but its stupid that if i want another i can't get it myself.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts