Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine owns a .40 HiPoint and swears by it. He tells me he cannot only shoot with any XD, Glock, 1911 etc but can out shoot most. Of course he hasn't made it to the range with me just yet. I was wondering if all his posturing has any ground to it. I have never even put one in my hand. Any thoughts???

·
Registered
144 Posts
Seems to be nothing major wrong with them... esp for price.

Every gun has had a few actual accidents, but more random internet complaints by mall ninjas than anything.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Extractors break easily so i would never suggest it as a defensive weapon. Dont think you can buy replacement parts if it breaks.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Evidently they have a lifetime warranty on them so parts shouldn't be that huge of an issue for a cheap range weapon. Not sure on shipping times etc... I was wondering if these things are actually accurate though.

·
Registered
17,738 Posts
Extractors break easily so i would never suggest it as a defensive weapon. Dont think you can buy replacement parts if it breaks.
Its not the extractor that breaks...its the ejector..which is ALSO the firing pin!

I had both a .45 and a .380 Hi-Point...they shot quite accurately...but only in case of NOTHING else available I WOULD NOT trust my life to one...to often or not I had maybe a malfunction at lease once a magazine, and unfortunately that is way too much.

The guy I sold it to said the channel where the slide retainer would ride in when the slide would recoil from firing was literally digging and wearing away at the metal and making the slide wobble even more...he sent it to Hi-Point and they sent him a whole brand new firearm...kudos to them for that....but boo on design and operation and metallurgy flaw!

They are firearms..they give people who can't run out and dump 400-500 on a defensive firearm...this gives them the ability to have one when they need it and save up to get a proper defensive firearm later...but IMHO no thanks.

The carbines...I have heard nothing but good reviews about them on the other hand

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you don't mind owning a pistol that is big, ugly, unreliable, and generally cheap looking it would probably be fine. I have a buddy who had one in .40. It was not a real shooter, but better than I would expect for $180. It was a jam-o-matic as well. The slide is not even made of steel, it is made of some cheap pot metal called Zammarac or something like that.

Bottom line is if you just plan on toying around with it at the range, it would be alright, I just would not trust my life to it.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I've SEEN the extractors break. Happens nearly everytime someone tries to use one for their CHL shooting exam. But if the firing pin & ejectors also break, then another 3 reasons not to count your life on one.

Just because it has a warranty, doesn't mean you can find replacement parts. It means you may have to mail in you pistol for them to fix it. Shipping both ways could cost as much as just buying another gun. But if it broke, why buy another:rolleyes:

They are made of cheap pot metal, so I can easily see how the metal is gouged due to recoil and friction it creates
[/B][/B]
Its not the extractor that breaks...its the ejector..which is ALSO the firing pin!

I had both a .45 and a .380 Hi-Point...they shot quite accurately...but only in case of NOTHING else available I WOULD NOT trust my life to one...to often or not I had maybe a malfunction at lease once a magazine, and unfortunately that is way too much.

The guy I sold it to said the channel where the slide retainer would ride in when the slide would recoil from firing was literally digging and wearing away at the metal and making the slide wobble even more...he sent it to Hi-Point and they sent him a whole brand new firearm...kudos to them for that....but boo on design and operation and metallurgy flaw!

They are firearms..they give people who can't run out and dump 400-500 on a defensive firearm...this gives them the ability to have one when they need it and save up to get a proper defensive firearm later...but IMHO no thanks.

The carbines...I have heard nothing but good reviews about them on the other hand

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I think that's exactly the niche they fill.
Some people, especially the elderly, will never be able to afford a nice gun for protection and the "Saterday night specials" have largely been legislated out of existence.
It also gives the general public a chance to try a handgun just to see what it's like before they drop large on a decent gun.

As to the actual gun itself, Hi-Point seems to make two versions: really good and really bad, just depends on which one you get and they DO seem to stand behind thier product pretty darn well.
Think of them like your first car, not quite a piece of junk, but it works, for now.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
A shotgun can be found for under two bills, less if you buy new. So $500 is not something that needs to be paid for home protection.
Used S&W 5900 series are found under $300, not to mention Beretta 92's and last year on the Sig P6. Whatever departments buy to replace their own upgrades can always be found cheap and reliable

·
Registered
17,738 Posts
I went a different route (once I got rid of my Hi-Points)

I bought a CZ-82 and 500 rounds of 9mm MAK ammo for just under $300.

They are C&R, but they shoot and shoot DANG well...you can usually find them for about the same price of the Hi-Point...

C&R Guns

Heck these are even nice too
Polish Radom P-64 9x18 Pistol

·
21,973 Posts
They make good throw away guns!

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
i haven't shot one but from what i hear they're either really good or really bad. ill stick w my s&w 39-2 for an inexpensive and reliable entry-priced pistol.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
A friend of mine has a hi point and likes it. There are a few things to know about them:
1. You can only use hardball ammo. They do not like lead.
2. They have no safety. To me this is an important consideration.
3. They are a cheap gun, and it is generally true that you get what you
pay for.

If I did not already have a 9mm (Ruger p89) I would consider one for the range, but I would never consider it as a personal defense or home defense weapon.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I look at Hi-points this way. It's better than a rock. For a short time my father owned a Hi-point 40 that I was able to shoot once. It didn't malfunction and it was accurate. Everything else pretty much sucked. The trigger was horrid, the sights suck, the gun had more kick than it should have (probably why I hate the 40S&W now), the grip is awful and slips out of your hand and despite being a big, heavy beast of a gun it is only a single stack so capacity is an issue.

If I only had $170 to spend on a gun, I would get one as odds are it would do the job it was ment to do. However, if there was any chance what so ever of saving up for a better gun down the line I would do it.

Regarding your OP, it sounds like your friend has boasted that he can out shoot anyone with a XD/Glock/M&P (basically more expensive guns) using his Hi-point and that eventually you two will be at the range together to put his claim to the test. To be completely honest he very well might do just that. If there is one thing that I have learned in my very limited time in shooting sports it is that its the shooter who makes the gun, not the other way around. If your friend is a great shot and you are not then more than likely he will beat you as well as others at the range. Even if I had a tricked out open-class gun Rob Leatham could whip my ass with a Hi-point.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
One thing about them is they are blow back operated so that would make them sensitive to ammo and for the calibers about 380, large and heavy slides.

·
Registered
29,661 Posts
A friend of mine owns a .40 HiPoint and swears by it. He tells me he cannot only shoot with any XD, Glock, 1911 etc but can out shoot most. Of course he hasn't made it to the range with me just yet. I was wondering if all his posturing has any ground to it. I have never even put one in my hand. Any thoughts???
Out 500 rounds through both of your pistols in a single session, and see how the pot metal wunderpistol holds up...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, thanks everyone. I learned a few things about HiPoint. I would hate to get beat at the range by one of those massive ugly things, but if he's able to do it good for him. I'll bet the farm against it though I shoot way too much and am increasingly learning as I do from mistakes and tutors I respect.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts