Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm been thinking about trying out IDPA. My CCW of choice is my trusty XD .40 Tactical and will definitely be my IDPA gun of choice. I have a solid stainless guide rod, recoil pad, extended slide release and extended mag release. After looking at the IDPA rules book it seems that the extended mag release is a problem. Why? I could understand if it was in the SSP category but an extended mag release doesn't seem like that radical a modification for ESP. Could someone explain the reasoning on this?

·
Registered
921 Posts
To be quite honest, the reasoning is "because they said so"
Same reason a DA/SA capable of hammer back safety on is still required to start in DA.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Mag releases can't extend beyond the frame more than .2" in ESP. Remember the grips on an XD are part of the frame so measure from the grip and you should be good to go. Got this clarification from a thread on Benos.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I went back and reread it. It says that "Oversized diameter magazine release buttons" are not allowed. So, is 3/8 considered "Oversized"?
With allowing ext safeties, ext slide releases, beveled mag wells, trigger jobs, barrel mods, why the rule about mag releases? The other allowed mods aside, does a mag release button give one participate that large an edge over another?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not trying to make waves. It's just when I see things that make me go "Huh?" I wanna know the logic behind it.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
the way I understand it is that it can be extended, but not any larger in diameter than the stock button. There are quite a few out there that are longer, but do not have a bigger diameter. Probably because of this rule.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok, I just got done vetting this question with a few IDPA SO's who work Sanctioned matches, spoke to the major aftermarket XD folks, and also passed the equipment check at the 2011 Golden State IDPA Championships this past weekend (4th CDP MM...yeah!)

I run an XD 45 Tac in both ESP and CDP. I have the Canyon Creek EXTENDED mag release. The key to this upgrade is to AVOID the oversized diameter releases, they are NOT IDPA legal. Any of the extended releases available from Springer Precision, Powder River Precision, or Canyon Creek are all legal on XD's in ESP and CDP.

The key is (and this part is eloquently stated in a previous post above) that the mag release cannot extend more that .20 from the "frame" of the pistol. The reality is that the release is recessed on an XD, and most will measure more that .2 from the point where it comes out of the gun. This got confusing for me.

However, because the GRIP on the XD is also considered the frame of the gun (as is the case on all shootable tupperware), you are fine. Just make sure the release is of the same diameter as the stock release, and that it does not extend past .2 from the GRIP of your XD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts