Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long has everyone gone without cleaning their XD?
How many rds without cleaning before you had a FTF or FTE?

Just Curious...mine is cleaned after every trip to the range...

Chris

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Field cleaning after every shoot. Major cleaning every 1k. no problems yet..

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Longest I went was the drive from the range to home. I always clean after every shoot.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
I also clean mine after every session at the range (its almost my favorite part ;))

·
Registered
245 Posts
Field cleaning after every shoot. Major cleaning every 1k. no problems yet..
Whats a field cleaning and major cleaning to you? jsut curious as to what other people do. I always at least run a bore snake through a few times. I prefer to filed strip after every trip but its not always possible.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I to clean after every shoot. If I get another XD i would like to try my habd at a torture test and see what it can take. Maybe a 9mm because .45 is to pricey to torture test save that for my baby.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have been pretty good about cleaning my stuff after shooting. I have never shot more than about 450 rounds in one session. That was a rediculous and expensive affair. My xd45 has never ever had a failure of any kind. My XD9 has had several malfunctions. I would say that 25% of them were due to really crappy cheap ammo that the academy supplied and the rest of them were due to my magazines hitting the deck so many times that the feed lips were bent out of shape. A few minutes with some pliers fixed them and I haven't had problems since. I plan on buy a new set of magazines and scrapping the old ones. I can trust the beat up mags on the range, but not in my home.

On the bright side, I have become VERY proficient at clearing malfunctions. I had 5 malfunctions on my final graded course of fire. I still scored well and finished in second place. Hopefully, when I get a job, I will be allowed to carry my XD45. I trust that thing with my life. You should take good care in maintaining your weapons, but I think the XD is very forgiving. Just make sure your magazines are beat up.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
If I ever migrate my XD40 away from being my nightstand gun, I may test this more.

I've heard some impressive totals on XDs going thousands of rounds needing no cleaning.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
I just detailed stripped and cleaned one of my XDs this past weekend. It had not been cleaned in 800-1000 rounds and it was running great. (I had a couple of FTEs, but that was with a spring that I was trying. It was great with the correct spring.)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Personally I don't shoot more than 50-100 rounds of any given caliber on a trip to the range. When got my CC license, my instructor suggested running 500 rounds through the gun without cleaning to see if it ever malfunctioned. When I got my XD 40sc I did just that and never once had ANY kind of malfunction. Gave it a good cleaning and am now back to cleaning after each trip to the range...well, did when I owned guns, don't have any now ;-)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just got back from a DVC training session (DVCtraining.com if you are in the midwest).

Most of those guys have hard ons for glocks and I shot my XD all weekend. Some guys were asking them about cleaning, and one guy said he doesn't clean unless stuff starts clogging up. He said he easily had 3k rounds through one of his glocks with no hiccups.

He said he viewed all of his weapons as tools, and rightfully so, but even then, I hose off my shovels after digging a ditch and mixing concrete.

In short, no gun I own will ever go more than a couple range sessions without cleaning.

I have the time, patience, and anal retentiveness to strip, clean, and oil everything I own when it shoots.

My guns will last longer and treat me better in the long run because of it.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I clean my XD-9 at least every other range session. Lately it's after every session, whether it really needs it or not. So I guess that's a max of 200-300 rounds between cleaning.

I know it will take much more abuse than this but an average field strip cleaning only takes 10-15 minutes, so why not do it often?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Back when I used to have guns, if it was something ever considered for SD/HD duty it had to do at least 500rds+ with zero malfunctions before cleaning.

Other than that I was totally anal-retentive about cleaning stuff/keeping it lubed once it proved itself worthy.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
A local range master bought one and put 700 through it without a single cleaning then ran the last clip upside-down. I think it took him about a week. Zero malfunctions.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
For a while last winter I was shooting 100 or more rounds a day with my old Service 9mm only cleaned it once a week or so. The only time I ever recall having issues with my Service 9 was after I put in a solid guide rod and even then it was rare. Went back to the standard rod and no probs.

·
Registered
596 Posts
(I apologize for any strange formatting in this post, I'm using my phone to surf)I used to be so worried about getting my guns clean. I wanted every little speck of anything that didn't belong there gone!
I ruined a barrel trying to get every last speck of copper out of it. I talked it over with a gunsmith friend of mine, and he simply suggested brushing/cleaning the grit out of it, blowing it clean with an air compressor, oiling anything that will rust or rub, and being happy with it that way.
I'll bet there are a few folks that work so hard to clean a firearm, they just might do more harm than good. I did, and now I just wipe it down, rub a little oil on the places I want oil, a drop on the frame/slide rails, and that's it.
My XD is a self defense gun, more likely to be used at 5 feet, not a 1,000 meter precision firearm.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts