Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I didn't want to cloud dOod's thread with pictures of my gun. I've got to give him all of the credit for the idea though. This was my first time building and photographing something this way. I like it a lot and think it works great !! Mods are also listed in my signature. Anyways, here are the pictures. The light came out a little yellow and I have no idea why. I'm almost thinking it's the reflection of the brown from the cardboard. I'm not too upset about it though, it was my first time trying it out.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
the huge flashlight takes up to much space in the picture.

the boring vanilla colored background does not help.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's actually a white background. Did you not read my post? I'm trying to figure out why I've got the yellow tint. I built the box just like dOod did and got that out come.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
It's actually a white background. Did you not read my post? I'm trying to figure out why I've got the yellow tint. I built the box just like dOod did and got that out come.
A lot of the colors you get depend on the lighting you use.

Try using a florescent or LED light to light it.

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
Now you know where my screen name comes from. The yellow tint is due to the tungsten lighting. You need to color corret this in photoshop, in the camera, or theough the use of a lens filter.

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
The pic is fine by the way, Grip just like to stir the pot. It is fun every once in a while. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nice pics man! I used a daylight compact florescent light in mine, just a normal CFL looked like poop so go for the full spectrum (daylight) ones, even adjusting the white balance didn't help enough. I took over 50 pics before I got the ones I liked. Are you using a tripod?

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
The pic is fine by the way, Grip just like to stir the pot. It is fun every once in a while. :)

FINALLY! someone on XDtalk who does not get upset over everything. ;)

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice pics man! I used a daylight compact florescent light in mine, just a normal CFL looked like poop so go for the full spectrum (daylight) ones, even adjusting the white balance didn't help enough. I took over 50 pics before I got the ones I liked. Are you using a tripod?
Can you get me a link to the light bulb you're talking about? I have no idea which ones you're talking about.

No, I'm not using a tripod. I plan on picking one up but don't want to spend too much money. Got any suggestions?

FINALLY! someone on XDtalk who does not get upset over everything. ;)
I wasn't upset by any means.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
the huge flashlight takes up to much space in the picture.

the boring vanilla colored background does not help.
if you have a lens zoomed to under 50mm then it will distort the pic and make closer objects look bigger. im not sure if he is less then 50mm in that pic but it does look a little bigger then normal.

try messing with the white balance to get the color you want. the auto doesnt allways do a good job. yellow means you are using a tungsten (regular incandescent) lightbulb. each type of light gives off a different tint of light.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Can you get me a link to the light bulb you're talking about? I have no idea which ones you're talking about.

No, I'm not using a tripod. I plan on picking one up but don't want to spend too much money. Got any suggestions?

I wasn't upset by any means.
No link needed. Just go to your local hardware / home improvement store and look at the florescent lights.

They come in a lot of different colors nowadays.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
walmart you can get a cheap tri-pod from. ive used mine for years with no problems. i even used it when i was doing professional pics and it worked great

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So what kind of light should I be looking at exactly?

By the way, the photos were taken with the regular lense that comes with the Nikon D40X.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nevermind. I figured out what CFLs were, I was having a little brain fart. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Get the True blue incadensant lamps.

·
Registered
368 Posts
You can check the manual for you camera but I believe you can select different lighting options including: incandesent, floresent, daylight (outside sunlight), etc. Slecting the correct option can help.

Using a better 'full spectrum' light can help.

Using one of the editing programs like Photoshop/Elements can help.

Basically a camera is a light recorder so the quantity and quality of light is REAL important.

Brian

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I also decided to put paper ALL over the inside of the cardboard box. So hopefully that helps some-what.

These are similar to what I use. 100w Daylight (usually has blue packaging)
I responded to your PM. I'm going to try what I found here but I'm thinking I'll need to get something like those. The color of these isn't much different even though they are florescent.

You can check the manual for you camera but I believe you can select different lighting options including: incandesent, floresent, daylight (outside sunlight), etc. Slecting the correct option can help.

Using a better 'full spectrum' light can help.

Using one of the editing programs like Photoshop/Elements can help.

Basically a camera is a light recorder so the quantity and quality of light is REAL important.

Brian
Yup. The D40X does have adjustments for lighting options. I wasn't messing with any of those. I had just taken it on auto. I'm going to play with it more tomorrow. The display made them look white, not yellow at all, so I just rolled with it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts