Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a single stack 1911 and since I like "most" of the opinions I've seen on the forum here you go. Let's say were looking in the $2000 range. I'd like to be able to use for IDPA and IPSC.
I've fondled all of these except the Ed Brown. Honestly I'm hard pressed to tell the difference. They all appear to be very good. STI even has some models that may work.
Does IDPA have some issues with the barrel design of any of these. I was thinking the 5" but IDPA may force me to consider the 4". Most of these guys have so many models it's difficult to understand the difference between their own models.
If you have insights I'd be obliged.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I read up on everything I can about 1911's and feel I am pretty current with the inventory of todays market.
I would say your best bet is too
A. Buy a Springfield Mil-spec and send it to a good smith and build what you want.
or
B. Buy a Ed Brown, Nighthawk, and dont count out Rock River Arms or a Springfield pro

Good luck

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
For IDPA, you are going to need a bushing barrel. No bull barrels longer than 4.2" are allowed... These are also the rules used in the Single Stack Championship series matches.

Internal mods may be done, checkering, magwell and sights may be fiber optic...but no porting or optical red dots.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apologies for posting this in wrong forum, I was distracted.
Having one built is a frequent suggestion in the 1911 forums. I have to admit I just plain don't know enough to create a decent spec. I've got to figure out the idpa specs a bit more. Everytime I think I've got it, I get confused again. I keep wanting to make a match/carry gun but maybe it's just too big of a compromise.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
For around $1000, you can get a 5" Para, Springer, Colt, STI Trojan, or Kimber that are more that adequate and reliable for use in IDPA or USPSA.

·
Registered
802 Posts
R Dub said:
For around $1000, you can get a 5" Para, Springer, Colt, STI Trojan, or Kimber that are more that adequate and reliable for use in IDPA or USPSA.

Whatever you do, do not go out and shoot an ed brown.

1) You'll either be $2000 in the hole..

2) Or you'll be a felon because you stole the gun :twisted:

high recommend ed brown, he makes a 5inch model, ive been shooting my commander, 1000rounds within the last 2 months and absolutely love it..

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
Chrome said about what I was going to say...except my advice was from here-say, not from first hand experience.
If I had big money burning a hole in my pocket, I'd buy the Ed Brown.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This whole thing got started while I was admiring a Nighthawk Predator at my Range/Shop and the guy says "I've got one of those in the back if you want to try it". Next thing I know I'm seeing how much he'll give me as a trade for my truck. :lol: Tried the old switch routine but he figured out my XD had slightly different grips than the Nighthawk.

·
Registered
513 Posts
What Chrome said. Seriously, Ed Brown is the MAN. All others are judged by his 1911's. The others mentioned are all top notch but not a Brown.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
The latest issue of American Handgunner has reviews of the Ed Brown Executive Target .45 and two STIs.

The January/February 2006 issue.

Tom

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jetsiphon - I know lots of people using STI in IPSC which has me looking at them as well. STI was given a pretty bad review in one of he recent magazines. I'll find the article and list it later.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts