Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried to do my due diligence on the subject *before* bugging you guys with questions, so let me ask if people's experience matches my theoretical understanding at this point:

1. Tritium luminesence is a radioactive decay process and not photoluminescence, so it doesn't "charge up" from light exposure and it will dim over time. The tritum vials in quality night sights can be seperately replaced by the manufacturer at a lower cost than the entire sight, and premature wearout is covered by the sights' warranty

2. The most popular choices for night sights on an XDm are Trijicon or Meprolight for "regular" tritium night sights, or TruGlo TFO which are hybrid sights that combine a fiber optic for day and tritium for night.

2a. TruGlo TFO had some early issues with coming apart in use, but these seem to have been decisively resolved at this time?

3. All three of the above night sights are available in either three-dot green, or three-dot with green front and yellow or orange rear. The idea with the mixed color setup is having the brighter green on the front and the dimmer orange or yellow helps produce faster sight acquisition.

2a. Trijicon says orange is dimmer and not as long-lasting, and consequently gives it a shorter warranty than yellow and green. Meprolight has the same warranty period on both. TruGlo doesn't have orange at all.

2b. Red is totally out of fashion because it's the dimmest, and because the other colors still don't produce enough light to significantly compromise night vision.

3. Professional installation is recommended, as removing the original factory sights is tricky and can damage the slide. Any such damage would not be covered by the XDm's limited lifetime warranty, but sight modifications don't actually *void* the warranty; they're just not covered.

4. All three of the above night sights are fixed combat-type sights, not adjustable target-type sights.

5. If on a tight budget for all-conditions defense, night sights should be obtained before a weapon light because, contrary to video games, you SHOULD NOT be using a weapon light as a searchlight due to this involving pointing the gun everywhere. And because a weapon light gives away your position, whereas night-sights do not.

·
Premium Member
127,986 Posts
I have had great success with TFOs.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
And another vote for the TFo's. Had James put them on my XDM 9mm 4.5 and they are awesome.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
TFO's. Buy with confidence. :wink:

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
1. Tritium luminesence is a radioactive decay process and not photoluminescence, so it doesn't "charge up" from light exposure and it will dim over time.
Right tritium has a half life of about 5 years, meaning when they're 5 years old, they'll be half as bright as when new. You must decide when they need changing out.

2a. TruGlo TFO had some early issues with coming apart in use, but these seem to have been decisively resolved at this time?
Right again. TruGlo seems to have solved the problem and I trust my two sets completely.

3. All three of the above night sights are available in either three-dot green, or three-dot with green front and yellow or orange rear. The idea with the mixed color setup is having the brighter green on the front and the dimmer orange or yellow helps produce faster sight acquisition.
The brightest of the three is unquestionably green. Red is actually a "low recognition" color and may not give you the bright picture you want. I imagine orange would work but I haven't tried any yet.

3. Professional installation is recommended, as removing the original factory sights is tricky and can damage the slide. Any such damage would not be covered by the XDm's limited lifetime warranty, but sight modifications don't actually *void* the warranty; they're just not covered.
Right. XD factory sights are notoriously tight, being hammered in by Clyde the orangutan from the Eastwood movies. Aftermarket sight installation is easy, since the owner can use various methods to adjust the fit.

4. All three of the above night sights are fixed combat-type sights, not adjustable target-type sights.
Most self defense aiming and shooting will be quick, "off the cuff", and at less than 15 feet. You may even end up shooting by simply looking over the top of the slide. Adjustable sights aren't really necessary unless your barrel is bent of something.

5. If on a tight budget for all-conditions defense, night sights should be obtained before a weapon light because, contrary to video games, you SHOULD NOT be using a weapon light as a searchlight due to this involving pointing the gun everywhere. And because a weapon light gives away your position, whereas night-sights do not.
A weapon light makes a dandy bullseye for the bad guy. And don't talk about "blinding" him. All he has to do is look slightly to the side of the light and he's got you. Lasers? You'll spend do much time trying to keep that little dot aligned on target, you'll forget to shoot. Night sights? I see you, you don't see me - simple as that.

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but I trust my life to TruGlo TFO's in green/green/green. The best of both (tritium/fiber optic) worlds, big and bright in any ambient lighting conditions.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Right tritium has a half life of about 5 years, meaning when they're 5 years old, they'll be half as bright as when new. You must decide when they need changing out.

Right again. TruGlo seems to have solved the problem and I trust my two sets completely.

The brightest of the three is unquestionably green. Red is actually a "low recognition" color and may not give you the bright picture you want. I imagine orange would work but I haven't tried any yet.

Right. XD factory sights are notoriously tight, being hammered in by Clyde the orangutan from the Eastwood movies. Aftermarket sight installation is easy, since the owner can use various methods to adjust the fit.

Most self defense aiming and shooting will be quick, "off the cuff", and at less than 15 feet. You may even end up shooting by simply looking over the top of the slide. Adjustable sights aren't really necessary unless your barrel is bent of something.

A weapon light makes a dandy bullseye for the bad guy. And don't talk about "blinding" him. All he has to do is look slightly to the side of the light and he's got you. Lasers? You'll spend do much time trying to keep that little dot aligned on target, you'll forget to shoot. Night sights? I see you, you don't see me - simple as that.

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but I trust my life to TruGlo TFO's in green/green/green. The best of both (tritium/fiber optic) worlds, big and bright in any ambient lighting conditions.

I believe the green lamps half life every 12 years??? Atleast in trijicons. So in 48 years 6.25% as bright as they were the day they were made. probably still visible with night vision lol!!

What ever you choose James is a great choice for install. I am happy with his work, price , and timeline.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Night sight -- I see 3 bright dots but can't see you, so hold on while I look for you.
If I can make you out well enough I can see my sights too, dots or no.

Now if you have Night Vision on different story, but then you don't need night sights.

Don't people practice offhand shooting in the dark anymore? I really don't need to see my sights just the side and top of my gun, I will still hit what I am aiming at, maybe not as accurate as in the daylight.

Oh and adjustable sights do make a huge difference even in low light shooting, better sight aperture, combat sights sucks big wads of gunk.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Heck yeah, orange is 5 years i believe.. I cant see my sights when I CAN see a silhouette in the dark. Night sights are essential for me at night. Hell i can see foxes , racoons, coyotes etc scurrying within 25 30 yards of me on moonless nights. I think i detect movement initially though. I may have excellent night vision ???

With a proper grip your sights should line up pretty naturally though as someone else had already mentioned, top of the slide etc.

·
Registered
67 Posts
those of you that had James install the TFO sights, did you buy them from him and if so, how much for the sights and how much to install them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have Trijicons, Meprolights, and TFOs on different guns, all green, and the TFOs are by far my favorite. About to order another set for my new XD.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
those of you that had James install the TFO sights, did you buy them from him and if so, how much for the sights and how much to install them.
If you buy the sights from James the installation is free. Check out his prices on his web site xdman.com

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
or 25$ if you purchase elsewhere. His prices are competitive , I just happened to already own them when I wandered across James path. When I do it again , I will spend my money with him now that I now where to find a good smith!!!!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have night sights on most of my guns. My 3 XDs have Trijicon green with yellow, my wife's XD is all green. I do like the color contrast even thought the yellow is not quite as bright as the green. I do not plan to replace my XDS FO sight. My 1911 has Meprolight. I don't see any significant difference between Trijicon and Meprolight. For my next night sights, I'm anxious to try TFOs.

·
Registered
266 Posts

Learn something new every day. Didn't realize red was 'low recognition' since it seems to really 'pop' for me on my xds. If it's so low light, makes me wonder why Springfield went with it. Red > Green in the Cool Factor test?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
pretty good research you did, and lots of good feedback here.

One comment I may suggest though..... before getting the night sights, I would offer that you use the money on some good classes first. Both "daylight" and "low-light" classes and get yourself plenty of training with your "stock" gun. Once you have done that you will know more about what you need for sights / lights / skills. etc.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Learn something new every day. Didn't realize red was 'low recognition' since it seems to really 'pop' for me on my xds. If it's so low light, makes me wonder why Springfield went with it. Red > Green in the Cool Factor test?
It will show up, but there are several colors much brighter. You're seeing a trend in emergency vehicles, like fire trucks, away from the dark red. It simply disappeears at night. They're going to the neon green an other "stand out" colors. Red lighting is also used when you want to read or examine something without destroying your night sight.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts