Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get Trijicon Night Sights for my SC but the reason I am hesitant is I don't want anyone missing with my sights. do you think it is a big deal to have to re-adjust to the new sights and practice to make sure they are straight. I also would like to know your take on just putting in a night sight on the front sight. I know an ex SWAT team member that works at the gun shop near me and that is what he has only front. as a matter of fact he preaches that unless you are shooting an object further than 10 yards no need to you use the rear sights. I personally don't agree. anyway I appreciate the input in advance.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
codeecks said:
I want to get Trijicon Night Sights for my SC but the reason I am hesitant is I don't want anyone missing with my sights. do you think it is a big deal to have to re-adjust to the new sights and practice to make sure they are straight. I also would like to know your take on just putting in a night sight on the front sight. I know an ex SWAT team member that works at the gun shop near me and that is what he has only front. as a matter of fact he preaches that unless you are shooting an object further than 10 yards no need to you use the rear sights. I personally don't agree. anyway I appreciate the input in advance.
1. Reputable gun smiths are going to stand behind their work and changing sights for them is like you putting spark plugs in your car.

2. You will always have to test fire a gun to check sight alignment and you should practice on a regular basis if you plan to use this gun for defense, which I assume you do since your wanting to add night sights.

3. Lots of people only use a front night sight, PRACTICE point shooting at 10 yards and you will find out that its not that hard to hit a siloett target.

I personaly like to have front and back night sights, but like I said, thats just what I like.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Most dealers know of a good local gun smith or have them onsite. Check with several local dealers and ask for referances. Also look in the phone book. There are some that you can mail your gun to as well if you dont mind waiting. Check some of the posts on this board and you will see that people around here know of some very good ones. Springfield will change your sights as well. Check their website for info...

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
codeecks said:
How would I go about finding a good gun smith
phone book, gun stores, gun shows, friends, family, your neighbor at the range etc

·
Registered
104 Posts
Even though there are many excellent gunsmiths, that doesn't mean they will work on your XD. A couple of years ago, I took my XD40 to a well established (20years) experienced gunsmith and he returned my XD saying he was afraid he'd damage the slide as the sights were on so tight and his sight installer tool would not fit on the XD (the XD uses a very wide sight on the rear; if you have a sig sight tool, and a standard XD if you file the rear to make it more narrow, you can get the Sig sight installer to work, but of course, you mutillate the rear sight in so doing).

I believe Trijicon will install your sight for a nominal charge and I'm sure you can send your slide into Canyon Creek or contact Ajamesp51 to have this done. (or for that matter, Springfield)

If you send your slide in, make sure your present factory sights are well regulated. If they are, tell the smith to install the new sight centered the same way to the witness marks.

As for just having the front night sight; this has in fact been a common configuration for the Navy SEALs on their Sig 226. Close up, you just look at the front sight and align with the center of mass....

In my experience with my XD40, I replaced the factory sights with Trijicon night sights and found the POI was now at POA which I prefer (instead of the 6 O clock which the factory strives for)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts