Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had limited experience using Trijicon night sights on a Sig229 and would like to put something like that on my XD40 SC. Just wondering the differnce between Night Sights and Fiber Optic Sights( if any.) Also would like to get opinions on the Pros and Cons of both. I know the first question people ask is "What do you plan on using these for". The answer is range shooting,home defense and of coures the occasional all out Zombie attack.:shock: Any opinions and/or experience with these sights would be greatly appriciated. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had the trijicon nightsites on my xd. I didnt really like them. The dots were kinda hard to see for me during the day.

If i were to get sites again ide prolly get Tru-glo fiber optic nightsites instead, or jsut plain fiber optics.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The difference to my understanding is:

Night Sights =

Ameriglo / Trijicon and the like are sites that contain small vials of tritium (a radio active gas I believe). Tritium glows in the dark. IMO this is best for home defense. These sights should basically perform exactly like the stock white dot sights during the day but allow you to see them in the dark. Some people feel that these don't glow brightly enough, however; if they were any brighter an intruder could potentially see the glow of these sights even though the viewwable dots are facing you not the target. People also judge the brightness of these sights by turning the lights out in a room and expecting them to glow like a flashlight. Try it again when you hear a noise in your house in the middle of the night and you get up to check it out after having been asleep. You will find that these things are very very bright when it is dark and your eyes are fully adjusted to the lack of light. They are no better for range situations than your stock sights.

Fiber Optic =

These use fiber optic technology to gather all available ambiant light and to direct it to the end of the point of the glass fiber. These are ideal for range shooting as they amplify the light and make them brighter and easier to see than a factory sight or a tritium night sight. These are range sites. While they are not suited for home defense weapons I don't feel that they would be any better or worse than factory white dot sights other than that they tend to be slightly more fragile. I would assume that any concern for fragility can be negated by buying a quality set.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Tru-glo fiber optic nightsites.
When I first read this I thought you had made an error. Sights are either Fiber Optic or they are night sights, not both.

I went to Truglo's website and saw that they do infact have tritium fiber optic sights available now. I'm not sure how long they have been making these, but they weren't several years ago (at least that I knew of) which is the last time I purchased handgun sights.

These seem to be the best of both worlds. and after a little more research it is likely that these will be going on my new XDm 9mm (once I get it).

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
When I first read this I thought you had made an error. Sights are either Fiber Optic or they are night sights, not both.

I went to Truglo's website and saw that they do infact have tritium fiber optic sights available now. I'm not sure how long they have been making these, but they weren't several years ago (at least that I knew of) which is the last time I purchased handgun sights.

These seem to be the best of both worlds. and after a little more research it is likely that these will be going on my new XDm 9mm (once I get it).
That must be quite along time ago, TFOs have been around for about 6 or 7 years. They are for many the sights of choice because they provide excellent visibility in all light conditions. Some feel they are sensitive to breakage but I have not found that to be true, but like all tritium sights they can be broken if not properly installed. The tritium light source is located in the housing in front of the visible fiber optic tube which makes it well protected. I personally prefer TFOs because I find the dot of conventional night sights hard to see during bright light conditions.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I installed Williams Firesights on my XD45, and the XD9 I use in IDPA. Great for daytime, which is when I shoot the most. I installed Truglo TFOs on my XD9SC for carry, although I don't think night sights are really needed, since you should have a light.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have TFOs on all three of my XDs, two XD45 Compacts and an XD9SC. Had Trijicons installed on my old Sig P226 because my dealer didn't have any TFOs in stock for the Sig. The tritium capsules in them are smaller than the ones in the TFO and consequently much dimmer in low light situations.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
TFO's on order. Thank you guys for your input. MUCH appreciated.:D I am figuring that between the TFO's and my Insight X2 I should be good to go. Now I just need to learn how to shoot straight. LOL

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Good Luck Aaron2.0. I have TFO's on my XD45 and my Glocks. Even though I have heard of people having problems with the front fiber falling out, in my humble opinion, they are the way to go. They are bright during the day and glow at night.

Now, you just need 1000 rounds to practice with!

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
Hope you have better luck with the TFOs. Mine were VERY dim compared to other NS, and the yellow rear color was even worse! Then to add insult to injury, my front vial flew out at the range and got lost! This after a year of light range use, maybe 500 rds. Now I have a useless front site and a too dim rear! This is not the only instance of TFOs losing vials either. Be wary.

·
Registered
463 Posts
That must be quite along time ago, TFOs have been around for about 6 or 7 years.
I think they were available back when I was buying my last set of sights, I never read the description thoroughly enough to catch that they had tritium capsules in them. I just always thought TFO’s were fiber optic only.

Aaron 2.0, if you’re going to use TFO’s you might want to check out the threads other people have written on them if you haven’t already. It seems a number of the members have used clear epoxy, as well as other methods, to secure the fiber optic piece in place. Another member also mentioned that out of the box his fiber optic piece wasn’t all the way back against the tritium capsule and as a result when he reseated it and anchored it in place with some sort of glue or epoxy it was even brighter than they were brand new.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
I have Trijicons on my tactical model XD. It is my primary range gun and my primary bed stand gun. I shoot in competitions with it and average 1,000 rounds (plus) @ month with it. The glow of those three dots on my night stand are very comforting.
My carry gun does not have the upgraded sights, yet. The Trijicons are truly beneficial in a night time situation and are not detrimental in the daylight!
They are no better for range situations than your stock sights.

Reactions: atc2504

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Hope you have better luck with the TFOs. Mine were VERY dim compared to other NS, and the yellow rear color was even worse! Then to add insult to injury, my front vial flew out at the range and got lost! This after a year of light range use, maybe 500 rds. Now I have a useless front site and a too dim rear! This is not the only instance of TFOs losing vials either. Be wary.
The TFO has a fiber optic rod and a tritium light source in front of the rod. Have you tried just installing a new fiber optic rod? The tritium light source may still be in place. I have never heard of Tru-Glo not honoring a manufacturing flaw with their sights, have you contacted them? I have owned almost every brand fo night sight on the market and have found none as bright as the TFOs though I have never owned yellow as it is the worst color for visibility, green is by far the best. I did have red on the front of my G35 which was OK but not great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I liked the factory F.O. front sight / white dot rear sight setup on my XD9 Mod.s service model in the gun shop where I bought it but once I brought it home and began dry fire drills in my home I realized they are worthless. I have since upgraded my sights to Trijicon HD and they work very well in my dry fire drills, I hope the same holds true during live fire on steel plates at the range,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts