Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I am thinking of night sights and was wondering which one the good folks on here prefer. Trijicon or Mepro. As this will be my first pair I want to be absolutely certain on these. Do they change POA? Even though I have a XML, I probably will not be carrying that with me at all times. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks again,
Tombo

P.S.
AJAMES how fast can you get me the lacquer-stik I ordered tonight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
889 Posts
If she's buying, my vote goes to Dawson's adjustable night sights. They run about $160, but if your point of aim changes they are adjustable.
I put them on my carry gun, and love them :D .
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,424 Posts
+1 for the Truglos....Fiber optic and night sights all in one package.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
I love the Truglo Tritium fiber optics on my XD. They are really bright in daylight, and bright in total darkness, making them better than regular daylight sights in the day, and better than regular tritium at night (compared to the very good Trijicons on my Sig).

I'd have to rate the TFOs as better in daylight than any regular sights I've had on a pistol. I've installed regular fiber optics on several other pistols and find them superior in the daylight.

In total darkness they seem brighter and the dots are bigger than the regular Trijicons on my Sig. The Trijicons are pretty good in deep dark, too.

But where the TFOs really excel is in dim or twilight. The fiber really glows brightly in those intermediate light levels where daylight sights are hard to see and the tritium isn't bright enough. Since many defensive situations are at night or in poorly lit areas, the TFOs are really superior in my opinion because they light up so well in just these situations.

THere's no gun accessory I would recommend more highly than the TFOs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,329 Posts
Ajames installed some Mepro's for me and I think they are top notch...can't wait to get a set on my other XD!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
i put a pair of Mepros on my XD. and they looked just as bright as the TFO in a dark room, and were cheaper. I thought for my first night sights I would try them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
I think you won't go wrong with either Trijicon or Meprolight. That being said, I bought some Meprolights earlier this year and have been happy with them. I think they are brighter than the Trijicons and I think the white outline on the Meps shows up better in the daylight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,022 Posts
Consider the XS 24/7 sight system. If it's a personal defense weapon, keep in mind that most LEOs that are involved in shootings wind up just point shooting anyways. Unless you've had some serious training (and keep up with it) the last thing that's gonna go through your mind is lining up three dots in a proper sight picture. With the 24/7's, just dot the i, and if you're close enough just put that big front dot on the target and squeeze.

I'm waiting for my slide back from ajames, onto which he'll be installing the XS system. It just makes more sense to me from the standpoint of reality in personal defense. Less to think about, quicker acquisition, etc. They're a bit spendy, but I'm thinking it'll be worth it.

My $0.02, IMHO. FWIW. YMMV. TTYL. TTFN.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
I have a set of 24/7 Standard Dot tritium sights waiting for me to break down and buy and XD SC...which still may be a while. I very much like the 24/7 and think they would be great for a concelaed carry gun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
539 Posts
I have some trijicons on mine, and those are the only nightsights i have experience with and like it. here's a pic i took last night for a different thread on this site...

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
285 Posts
I have a set of Trijicons on my 1911. I am not impreseed. I'm going to order a set of TFO fiber optic night sights for my XD as soon as this Sunday's USPSA match is over.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,885 Posts
Paladin said:
I have a set of Trijicons on my 1911. I am not impreseed. I'm going to order a set of TFO fiber optic night sights for my XD as soon as this Sunday's USPSA match is over.
Pretty subjective here.
I've had a chance to shoot two G-19's that were equipped with both under the same lighting conditions, and preferred the Trijicons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
sjp2452 said:
Consider the XS 24/7 sight system. If it's a personal defense weapon, keep in mind that most LEOs that are involved in shootings wind up just point shooting anyways. Unless you've had some serious training (and keep up with it) the last thing that's gonna go through your mind is lining up three dots in a proper sight picture. With the 24/7's, just dot the i, and if you're close enough just put that big front dot on the target and squeeze.

I'm waiting for my slide back from ajames, onto which he'll be installing the XS system. It just makes more sense to me from the standpoint of reality in personal defense. Less to think about, quicker acquisition, etc. They're a bit spendy, but I'm thinking it'll be worth it.

My $0.02, IMHO. FWIW. YMMV. TTYL. TTFN.

Are the XS big dots allowed in IDPA? My apologies for drifting a little on your thread.

Edit... Thanks, but I just found the answer in the IDPA rulebook. Shoulda looked there before asking.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,885 Posts
Lonnie said:
sjp2452 said:
Consider the XS 24/7 sight system. If it's a personal defense weapon, keep in mind that most LEOs that are involved in shootings wind up just point shooting anyways. Unless you've had some serious training (and keep up with it) the last thing that's gonna go through your mind is lining up three dots in a proper sight picture. With the 24/7's, just dot the i, and if you're close enough just put that big front dot on the target and squeeze.

I'm waiting for my slide back from ajames, onto which he'll be installing the XS system. It just makes more sense to me from the standpoint of reality in personal defense. Less to think about, quicker acquisition, etc. They're a bit spendy, but I'm thinking it'll be worth it.

My $0.02, IMHO. FWIW. YMMV. TTYL. TTFN.

Are the XS big dots allowed in IDPA? My apologies for drifting a little on your thread.

Edit... Thanks, but I just found the answer in the IDPA rulebook. Shoulda looked there before asking.
Yes they are, but as stated...distances past 15 yards tend to obliterate the target. The XS standard dot would make more sense for IDPA.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top