Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. I've only been shooting for a few weeks now and all this talk about night sights has got me to reading a lot about them. I have ready all the posts on which brand yada yada. this is bright than this and so on.

I am considering the Meprolight's for my XD 9mm 4" service. Is it really worth it, $75 for sights and $50 install? Will i see any benefits besides quicker sight acquisition and low light conditions enhancement? Any accuracy benefits?

Thanks for your replies.

Trent.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Unless it's a range or hunting only pistol, I'll probably put some kind of night sights on every pistol I will ever own. I don't have meprolights, so I can't really say if you'll get any added benefits other than low/no light conditions. My bet is that accuracy is probably the same as the stock sights. Wanting more benefit than just being usable at night, I opted for TFOs because they are great for daylight shooting as well.

If I need to use my pistol, it's more likely that it'll be at night. For that reason, I'd part with some cash every time to make sure that I have the best "fighting chance" I can get.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Uh..if you are paying $50 bucks to have them installed ur getting raped!! :shock: :shock: I had my Truglo TFO's installed for $15 bucks!! Only took a few min. Might wanna think about that b4 u go and have them put on. :shock:

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
They help you find your gun in the dark.
ha ha ha iv got trijicons. on my tatical and i can use them as a flash light.
close up ofcourse.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
mine installed and bore sighted for $10

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
If you carry, or use your XD for defense at home, then YES it is worth it. $50 is steep for install though. My guys charges $25.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
$75 for night sights is way worth it....the install price i can't say is though;)

Night sights are a great addition to any gun.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Will i see any benefits besides quicker sight acquisition and low light conditions enhancement? Any accuracy benefits?
No accuracy benefits, easier to acquire in pitch black, when you should have a flashlight anyway. Probably harder to acquire in the daylight. I installed TFOs, since 99.999% of my shooting is in the daylight, and they are exceptional. Several of the forum sponsors will install nightsights for you at no charge if you buy from them.

Support your forum sponsors!

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any places of recommendation to take it instead of paying Patriot $50 to do it? Academy, gander mountain? Or find a dealer that will do it cheaper?

Thanks for the replies.

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
Any places of recommendation to take it instead of paying Patriot $50 to do it? Academy, gander mountain? Or find a dealer that will do it cheaper?

Thanks for the replies.
$75 is a great deal, $50 not so much. Look for local gunsmiths and also police supply stores usually have a gunsmith that can do it. I ended up shipping mine to SA and had them mount them while they refinished the slide. They charged $60, but I figured since this is going to be my service pistol when I get into LE having the work done by the manufacturer was worth it. Most other places charged $35 around here.

Are you getting the sights for $75 through Patriot? If so and they mount for $50, you'll spend $125. A lot of sights I've seen though are $100, and if someone else wants $35 to mount, that's $135, so you might be better off paying the higher install rate for the discounted sights.

Meprolight is right up there with Trijicon. I have Meprolight's on my XD40 Service and like them. There is a slight difference I've noticed though, and this was posted in another thread. The Trijicons seem to be smaller, but are more defined. The Meprolights seem to be a bit larger, but have a blurry edge definition to them. I like both sets though.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you getting the sights for $75 through Patriot? If so and they mount for $50, you'll spend $125. A lot of sights I've seen though are $100, and if someone else wants $35 to mount, that's $135, so you might be better off paying the higher install rate for the discounted sights.
No i would buy the sights online for 69.99+ shipping. Will call around some places today and get some "estimates." thanks guys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I prefer TFO fiber optics. They are fiber optic and Trijicon. All the major brands are good.
As for the install, $50.00 is too much. If someone buys a sight from a dealer they should install them for free. If they bring them in, Still $ 10.00 to $20.00 is a proper price.
A little FREE help with a new customer will go a long way in the future. If you go to a dealer and they install the sight for $10.00, when the last dealer installed them for $50.00 , where would your future business go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts