Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking of adding one or the other and noticed something. When practicing drawing from my CC holster and trying for center of mass hits, I'm not sure I'm really using my sights that much. Maybe I am and don't realize it. Just thinking about it afterwards, I don't know if I am taking the time to use them or more muscle memory. If that is the case would night sights benefit me very much or would a laser be of more use? My thinking is that a laser would allow out of normal position aiming where night sights wouldn't. Hopefully someone with more trigger time can give me some insight. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Was thinking of adding one or the other and noticed something. When practicing drawing from my CC holster and trying for center of mass hits, I'm not sure I'm really using my sights that much. Maybe I am and don't realize it. Just thinking about it afterwards, I don't know if I am taking the time to use them or more muscle memory. If that is the case would night sights benefit me very much or would a laser be of more use? My thinking is that a laser would allow out of normal position aiming where night sights wouldn't. Hopefully someone with more trigger time can give me some insight. Thanks.

Personally I see a benefit in both.

Night sights are great for any low or no light situation. They do glow quite bright when it is dark, so much so I can find my holstered gun in the dark! :cool:

With the CT laser, they are difficult to see in full sun. If you are looking for it you are wasting precious time! Of course the laser is great in low and no light. The only drawback is that the laser is very bright on the FRONT side of the pistol too. This is not the case with night sights. Yes the laser also lets you shoot in situations where you do not use the sights.

Your choice, your gun.

Kent

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
There certainly isn't anything wrong with having both, but if I had to choose between the two for my basic SD weapon, I'd go with the night sights.

To acquire and maintain basic marksmanship skills there's no substitute for sights. And, as previously pointed out, the laser becomes almost useless in bright sunlight.

For a point-and-shoot situation, the laser becomes much more valuable. I put a Crimson Trace laserguard on my wife's LCP for that exact reason, plus the existing sights on it are almost non-existent.

I've got Trijicon tritium sights on an XD-9SC, and Truglow TFOs on my XD-40 service which I carry on a daily basis, and would recommend either over stock sights.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Night sights..Remember a laser can be traced back to you as well..I never bought into the whole laser idea..Night sights make some sense..Most of us are point and shoot rather than aim when it comes to a defensive situation..Or at least I am..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So am I correct that in a point and shoot situation that I am probably not looking at the sights?

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Night Sights.

I have a pair of CT laser for my XD9 that are about to be sold as I have zero use for them, other than a training tool, which is a problem that can be solved with cheaper options.

My RAMI has factory installed nite sights and I find them much more practical.

That being said, I do see a need for CT and they are a great product. If my wife was carrying a two or three inch revolver or a LCP, I'd like her to have the CT grips on it, but I just don't have a need for them any longer.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Night sights. I had a CT grip on my M&P and eventually sold it to fund my night sights. I have no regrets at all.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
There are good reasons to not use lasers on personal defense firearms.

It's an electronic device capable of failure (batteries, dirt, knocked out of alignment).

Bright light can make it difficult to see.

Your hand can be in the wrong spot to activate it.

Your adjustment time from looking for the laser dot to realizing it isn't there to trying to find the sights can be a very long time.

practicing with a laser can solidify bad shooting habits.

IMO.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
I have only seen it about 7 times in my life but I can tell you from experience that when someone realizes a lazer is on them they change their attitude real fast. If you use the lasers very concentrated very bright light and put it in someones eyes (easier than you think) it blinds them. Even in bright daylight.

You might have to take your eyes off the primary target when you realize a secondary problem has arisen. Your peripheral vison will confirm your sights are still on target.

They will not make anyone better but the lazer on the P22 taught my kid proper sight alignment very very quickly. He dont use it anymore and does not like the lazer at all now.

I have a front night sight on the housegun AND a unimax laser. I use it as an escilation of force tool. Not a sighting aid. By any means possible I will run someone off before I touch the trigger off. If you want to see someone poop themself a little just catch them off guard and blast them in the face with the laser. Seen it happen a few times.

On a side note neither will PID a target. I have a flashlight that lives right next to my housegun and if I can not PID someone they will have a nice bright white LED to glare into before I decide what to do.....

·
Banned
263 Posts
Laser grips. Out of ordinary positions, quick action, I don't care who you are and how good you are, using sights takes more time and puts you at danger. Lasers can save you without exposing your vitals. And night sites, I don't care how good they are, don't work in no light. Bottom line, lasers protect you, keep your firearm safely away, and enable you to accurately fire without risking lining up irons. Hence a head wound from exposing yourself. You can take shots without exposing you or your firearms. Anyone who days different doesn't know how to use lasers correctly. Get the free CTC DVD to fully understand what's at risk. Information is power. Know all you can.... Be safe. They saved me. Will never go without.

·
Registered
29,621 Posts
Night sights, absolutely.

After owning a gun that came with CT's, I realized I was faster & more accurate without them, and consdierably slower if they "failed" while I was practicing...spent too much time looking for that dot before I got on the trigger.

I think one would be a lot better served in spending the money one would spend on a laser instead on ammo, range & class time learning how to point shoot, and practicing it on a regular basis; technology is not a replacement for training.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Night sights, if I had a choice. I tend to keep my serious tools simple. Target, front sight, trigger; repetition and muscle memory was the way I was taught for defensive as well as offensive shooting.

·
Banned
263 Posts
H.
Night sights, if I had a choice. I tend to keep my serious tools simple. Target, front sight, trigger; repetition and muscle memory was the way I was taught for defensive as well as offensive shooting.
Target sites are fundamental I learning. But learning exceeds the basics. What works for one may not for another. But the laser can be seen in low lights, quicker and easier to acquire in life and death scenarios. If I hadn't had mine, I couldn't have taken cover and saved my family. Trust me. Get the free DVD from CTC and you will change your mind. They don't fail any more than a jammed round or stove pipe or anything else that can go wrong. I owe my life to CTC. I will NEVER GIVE THEM UP. And I shoot just great with my iron sites. sometimes they're just not enough. how can 50 million people be wrong? imho... safer and more positions available and faster response time. i owe my life and families life to CTC. And will never go back. They've yet to fail me. iron sights have more at risk... like putting you in harms way at that most crucial moment. A light is also nearly foolproof. are you saying you won't use a light to id your potential threat because it could fail? Ignorance is bliss. my opinion, which I will never falter from... Be safe out there, and take every tool at your disposal. everyone with tfo's not nagging em. but more is more.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
And night sites, I don't care how good they are, don't work in no light.
What kind of night sights are you talking about. I know my Trijicon's are very bright. They seem to work just fine in no light. You wouldn't be able to see your target in no light anyway so what good will a laser do? The money spent on a laser would be more well spent if it were put towards proper training.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
What kind of night sights are you talking about. I know my Trijicon's are very bright. They seem to work just fine in no light. You wouldn't be able to see your target in no light anyway so what good will a laser do? The money spent on a laser would be more well spent if it were put towards proper training.

The front sight on my house guns is a night sight, I have a laser on it, and I use a handheld light.

IMO EVERYONE should practice so flippin much that they should be able to focus on a target, close their eyes, raise their pistol, open eyes and the sights should be right where you looked last. Your pistol should be able to track right where you are looking at all the time every time. My house and primary carry gun does for me. Nightsights will not PID a target, A light will not make you a better shooter and a laser is useless if you use it as a replacement for sights.

Used properly together and its like putting a hotdog in a bun with some catsup. I do not enjoy any of them without the other and my primary defense pistol is alot better of a tool with a front nightsight, a laser and flashlight in my hand.

What good will a laser do? I got my first experience at work with one. I can tell you right now it kept me from shooting atleast 7 people. Even when that is your job its the last thing you really want to do. If I can keep myself from cleaning up a smelly mess after the police leave with the carcass, I will. I know a laser has a psychological effect. I went from non believer to user in no time quick and if I would have never used one I would still think the same way so I can understand where you come from.........

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I believe there are pro's and con's for both.

I do agree that point shooting especially in close quarters is primary and niether night sighrs or lasers will help much.

·
Registered
957 Posts
H.

Target sites are fundamental I learning. But learning exceeds the basics. What works for one may not for another. But the laser can be seen in low lights, quicker and easier to acquire in life and death scenarios. If I hadn't had mine, I couldn't have taken cover and saved my family. Trust me. Get the free DVD from CTC and you will change your mind. They don't fail any more than a jammed round or stove pipe or anything else that can go wrong. I owe my life to CTC. I will NEVER GIVE THEM UP. And I shoot just great with my iron sites. sometimes they're just not enough. how can 50 million people be wrong? imho... safer and more positions available and faster response time. i owe my life and families life to CTC. And will never go back. They've yet to fail me. iron sights have more at risk... like putting you in harms way at that most crucial moment. A light is also nearly foolproof. are you saying you won't use a light to id your potential threat because it could fail? Ignorance is bliss. my opinion, which I will never falter from... Be safe out there, and take every tool at your disposal. everyone with tfo's not nagging em. but more is more.
As you say what works for you may not work for others. I still fail to see how iron sights put one at risk any more that a lazer you still have to hang something out there to make sure you are on target. Unless you have one of those devices the Israelis developed to shoot around corners. I never said anything about something failing. I was a presented with two choices and gave my opinion. I've been carrying firearms in and out of uniform for over 25 years, so I am not ignorant of the choices. They work for you great, that is all that matters.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'd vote night sights as well, I have a crimson trace laser guard on my Ruger LCP as it has no real sights and there is no option for night sights.

I have TRUGlo TFO's on my Compact XDM and absolutely love them! They are speedy to pick up, do not require batteries, and are very bright under all circumstances.

The other big benefit, the holster options are not really limited in ANY way. But if you go with a laser you are very limited in holster selection.

Just my two cents....

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just shot in my first IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) match last week. I'm the "FNG" and I kept hearing the Safety Officer/Judge yell "cover" every time I tried to shoot from behind cover. They yell "cover" to indicate you are exposing too much of your body to the bad guys. I shoot two-handed and you have to expose a good part of your body to get good sight alignment and sight picture. I can see how using a laser would help you acquire your target without having to expose a substantial part of your body.

Don't get me wrong. I do not believe using a laser is a substitute for regular training and good marksmanship technique but I think a good shooter can be more effective using a laser in "real life" situations where you might not be in a position to get your head behind those sights.

I am kind of ticked off at CT because they don't make a grip laser for my XDm. They only make one that mounts in front of the trigger guard which won't fit in my Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC IWB holster.

By the way, I saw the DVD from CT that was previously mentioned in this thread and it's really really good. I recommend it to everyone.

I guess you could say I drank the Kool Aid...LOL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts