Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking on James' site. Trijicon, Meprolight, TFO??? Don't know. I'm sure each has its advantage, but is there one that is really better? I want it for my xds.45 CCW day and night. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Tfos green front fellow rear.

Or trijicon HD orange front

Those are the two best sights in the easiest colors to pick up for self defense. There are other niche sights out there but these universally work.

Bad eyes/glasses go tfo

IMO HDs are mildly faster

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Rock, paper, scissors...
Flip a coin...
:) :) :)

Seriously though it comes down to a few factors. What is the primary use of the gun? Do you intend to shoot this gun during daylight and night hours? What do you like and can afford?

Look at real reviews from people who have the sights you are considering. From what I have seen on here TFOs are highly regarded and used by a lot of people. You get the advantage of fiber optics for day time use and the advantage of tritium for night time use. The only draw back for some people is the size of these sights vs the other night sights. Good luck in your search.

P.S. When you do decide don't even try to remove the factory sights yourself unless you want major headaches and possible equipment damage as these sights are extremely tight. Just send your slide to James and solve this problem.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
TFO's are the best. If you want to impress people on the AR-15 forum get Trijicon HD's.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I went with the TFO's but whatever you decide, SEND IT TO JAMES!

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
I don't have any experience with TFO's, but I have found the following between Trijicon's and Meprolight's. Trijicon night sights are not as bright as the Meprolight's; however they are more defined. They actually look like circles. Meprolight's are brighter, but they are more of a blurry circle rather than a well defined circle.

When I say brighter, the Meprolight sights are not super bright to where it will destroy your night vision, and this might have only been my personal perception.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
TFO's are the best. If you want to impress people on the AR-15 forum get Trijicon HD's.
Lol I have both HDS are faster and tfos solve vision problems.

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Lol I have both HDS are faster and tfos solve vision problems.

I have had (and it's been known to some on this forum) damn near every night sight possible. I had orange and green meps on my XDs , I have had Trijicon HD's on my MP9c and i've had at least 7 sets of TFO's so in my opinion it's not even a contest.

I don't see how you find the HD's "faster" TFO's with a green rear and yellow front are ridiculously fast to pick up in all lighting conditions , and not just when I am asleep.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Meps or the original Trijicons are the best for defensive pistols when you take everything into consideration.TFOs are ok for the range.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Meps or the original Trijicons are the best for defensive pistols when you take everything into consideration.TFOs are ok for the range.

what is you justification for this?

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
What? Why

·
Registered
414 Posts
I want to be able to use my rear sight for one handed slide manipulations, this is near impossible with TFOs due to the sloped shape thus ruling them out in my opinion.

I want tritium sights on my defensive pistols that have different color tritium lamps front and rear or a straight 8 setup ,thus ruling out Trijicon HDs.Come on Trijicon you offer different color rear tritium lamp options on your regular bright and tough sights ,get with the program.

So IMHO original Trijicons or Meps are still some of the best combat sights on the market.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
one hand slide manipulation ????

:rolleyes:

no reason to reply to someone who has no backing for his statement.

i've had all of them , don't listen to me listen to GI joe over here.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts

ummm I will disagree with you on that and listen to your advise, Mr. MallNinja can take a back seat if you ask me.

·
Registered
414 Posts

Then don't reply,alot of us have "had them all" :rolleyes:

A question was asked on an internet forum I gave my opinion,
I was asked why I held that opinion I responded,
I am now done,Flame away kids.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the input, everyone. I know there are lots of threads on the subject, but they don't help too much. I've never seen the sights in real life, so it's hard. Might just be one of those cases like holsters, where you end up with a collection of them before you decide what you like. I don't have the money to do that.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Been looking on James' site. Trijicon, Meprolight, TFO??? Don't know. I'm sure each has its advantage, but is there one that is really better? I want it for my xds.45 CCW day and night. Thanks!!
I had similar questions. At one point I was certain I was going with Trijicon HDs. Then I found pics on Diamond Speed Sights and researched them and finally decided on them. I just got two slides back from James yesterday and mailed him two more today ~ my Sigs.

Sweet! Nice job James! I'm shipping off the Sig slides to you tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails

Attached Thumbnails

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
I want to be able to use my rear sight for one handed slide manipulations, this is near impossible with TFOs due to the sloped shape thus ruling them out in my opinion.

I want tritium sights on my defensive pistols that have different color tritium lamps front and rear or a straight 8 setup ,thus ruling out Trijicon HDs.Come on Trijicon you offer different color rear tritium lamp options on your regular bright and tough sights ,get with the program.

So IMHO original Trijicons or Meps are still some of the best combat sights on the market.
Ok your right on both of your complaints. I yelled at Fisher a year and a half ago for the green/green tritium on the HDs (he helped trijicon develop them) he just shrugged. I don't think trijicon was interested in making it I got the impression I might not have been the first person to ever complain about it.

I have slide serrations on all of my carry guns, so the TFO complaint doesn't apply to me, but I agree it is a massively limiting factor. But for someone with bad eyes hits matter more than one hand manipulation so I'll stand by my statement, if you have bad eyes TFO are the best carry sights (or an RMR) on the market.

I teach one hand manipuation all the time. Parent holding their kid, person on their back or being injured (Not from gunfire, never happens, but hitting the bad guy in the face and breaking your hand happens often enough) Its a very legitimate concern. I've taught multiple 1 handed people this year, all appreciated the HDs on top of either tread taped slides or serrated slides from atei (my guns atei, their guns I"d stick tread tape on their slides)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts