Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the period of looking I have not seen many night sights for revolvers. I have seen a few for ruger red hawks that look great! Are their some available for my ruger super Blackhawk with a 7.5 inch barrel? I'm not sure why night sights have not caught on as fast for revolvers. Is one of the main reasons that they are harder to install on a revolver? They are fairly easy on a auto pistol slide.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
I put an XS big dot night sight on my 2.25" GP100. It's a kick butt sight, big and bright and super easy to pick up and put on center mass.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
I'm not sure about night sights for a Blackhawk but I know there are fiber optic options out there.

The Blackhawk isn't typically seen as a defensive revolver :-D

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
I've got a Big Dot front and C&S U-notch rear on my 2.5" 325; it's a sweet setup.

But I'd have to concur with the above--I don't think the SBH is seen as a defensive pistol, more as a hunting pistol--the best you'll likely be able to do is a fiber optic.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I put an XS big dot night sight on my 2.25" GP100. It's a kick butt sight, big and bright and super easy to pick up and put on center mass.
2.25 inch GP? Is that a special edition or something?

·
Registered
10,949 Posts

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
A snubby GP would be awesome though.
Yeah, I think that shortest GP they make is 3", and that's a fixed sight model.

To be honest, though--I feel that anything under 3" in a magnum is not worth it; you start to get a lot of velocity loss under 3", a lot more flash, and the ejector rod is too short for full ejection of cases.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I thought Ruger Super Blackhawks were used to illuminate the enemy so the squad could identify targets?
I shot one in dim light once - could not acquire the target for the second shot, lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently acquired a used 2.25 SP101 (.357) that HAD a Trijicon night sight installed by a previous owner. On my first trip to the range, I found that my point of impact was several INCHES below where I would have expected it to be at about 10 yards. After returning home, I got out my caliper and compared the height of the Trijicon unit with the OEM sight which I had also gotten with the gun. I found that the Trijicon was almost a full 1/16" taller than the OEM. I promptly put the OEM sight back on. So, you might want to keep this in mind and check front sight height before you change it out. The taller front 'might' work fine if you have adjustable rear sight.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I recently acquired a used 2.25 SP101 (.357) that HAD a Trijicon night sight installed by a previous owner. On my first trip to the range, I found that my point of impact was several INCHES below where I would have expected it to be at about 10 yards. After returning home, I got out my caliper and compared the height of the Trijicon unit with the OEM sight which I had also gotten with the gun. I found that the Trijicon was almost a full 1/16" taller than the OEM. I promptly put the OEM sight back on. So, you might want to keep this in mind and check front sight height before you change it out. The taller front 'might' work fine if you have adjustable rear sight.
Good to know. I see the night sights offered for ruger double action revolvers often but never for single action. Bummer. Would fiber optic sights help for shooting in low light condition?

I have been stuck trying to decide whether to scope my blackhawk or not for deer hunting. Cannot decide. I should have bought a super blackhawk hunter so I could add and remove a scope instantly! Some hollowgraphic sights provide excellent vision in low light. Would I be likely to damage one with moderate loads in a 44 magnum? I was merely thinking about taking the blackhawk for hunting coyotes. No worries nothing else I night. I hunt legally and follow the laws and regulations when it comes to hunting etc.

Honestly I need to call ruger as well. On my back sight the spring has broken that applies tention to the rear sight so it remains in place. They may send me one for free as they sent me the pin and spring for my cylinder release free of charge when it came out. Ruger actually recommended I would use blue lock tight to ensure the screws that were coming loose on me would now stay in place.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Might wanna call the manufacturer to verify fitment though. And yeah, they'd look good on mine too. I need more time out with it.

.44 just isn't too cheap to shoot though :(

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Might wanna call the manufacturer to verify fitment though. And yeah, they'd look good on mine too. I need more time out with it.

.44 just isn't too cheap to shoot though :(
I was paying $1 per round for factory loads. I used to reload 38 sp and 357 with my dad. With 44 mag I quickly got into reloading I bought in bulk and it's $.33 per round plus or minus to reload using lead bullets and reusing cases. Reloading is a joy probably the best part is tayloring your load for its use or purpose

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Glow on sight paint?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts