Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all newbie to the forum here. I'm turning 21 next year and am already pretty sure I'm gonna get myself a XD .45ACP service for my first pistol (I've been shooting rifles and shotguns and hunting since i was 10). the service is going to be my carry piece and I'm considering what sights to get on it when I order it from S/A. I've narrowed it down to either the Trijicon tritium night sights or the Springfield Custom tritium night sights. The people at the S/A custom shop emailed me pics and said the only difference is the shape of the rear sights, but the pics weren't that good so i turn to you all. Does anyone have either of these two sights and if so how do they work? If, not other sight recommendations are welcome. Note: I'll be graduating from college 2 months before turning 21 so I cant really afford to spend an extrordinary amount of money on sights in addition to the gun. Let me know with your suggestions. Thanks

Remington 1100 12 Ga.
Ruger 10/22 .22LR
Savage 775A 16 Ga.

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy"--George Washington

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
ive never seen the SA sights. but trijicons make great ones. i have the truglo TFOs and i like them a lot, they arent as durable as the trijicons but they are way brighter day and night

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
My advice is to get to a local gun shop where they carry the XD's with night sights and see if you like it. There isn't any noticeable difference between the Trijocon factory night sights and the standard 3-dot sights. At my local Scheel's, the premium for night sights is only $50, though it may be more at other stores since the difference in the MSRP is quite a bit more than that.

If you go with the custom shop sights, you'll be shelling out a lot more than $50, but if you have the money to blow, it's your call.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea ive tried but havent been able to find one at my local shop, the guy said he cant keep any in stock long enough. Good advice though, and I plan to keep looking. ON the S/A custom sight web site, the prices for both are listed as $105 and I only wanted it from them because I've heard so much good about the custom shop, and their ability to stand by their products. However, I would still trust my local smith to do it. Another question: does a smithy doing it void their warranty?

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Having a gun smith shouldn't void the warranty. If you are going to go with the optioned Trijicon sights, check with your local dealer to see if they can order that model. If it's a large retail chain, there shouldn't be a problem.

That sucks about the $105 premium. The Scheel's location that I frequent has very good prices on their XD's, and that may be why they only charge a $50 premium for that upgrade. The XD .45 Tactical with night sights is $600 there.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Welcome to the forum AirForceAce357..

You can't go wrong with Trijicons.
I don't have any experience with the Springfield Custom tritium night sights.
A lot of members love their Truglo TFOs, but I think they are too big.

Factory trijicons on an XD45 compact..

Meprolights on an XD9sc sorry for the blur..

Heinie Straight 8s, I bought them, never installed them, and sold them on eBay.
I think they would have been difficult to see in the daylight.
I decided to stick with the 3 dot sights with more of a white outline like the ones above.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I would recommend the Trijicons and Meprolights. Both are quite good and having a gunsmith do the instal will more likely than not save you some money.

They let cadets have firearms at Kent State?

·
Premium Member
128,287 Posts
I have TruGlo TFOs on three of my XDs and they work flawlessly. One set is over four years old. I have never had one single problem with them and I use my guns frequently both as an instructor and as a continuing student.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Since my FFL guy had to order the XD in anway, I had him order me one with factory night sights already on it...

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no vandal they dont let cadets keep firearms on campus. The only exception is our M1 Garands which we use for drill and ceremony. BTW, how did u know that Det 630 is at Kent? are you an alumn?

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Check your PMs, I did four years of AFROTC, then enlisted.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I really like the straight 8 sights. The Taurus PT-145 I want to get has them from the factory. The are nice and easy to line up, seems like you spend less time centering the front on the back sight. Too bad Heinie's are so expensive :(
-Thomas

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have TruGlo TFOs on three of my XDs and they work flawlessly. One set is over four years old. I have never had one single problem with them and I use my guns frequently both as an instructor and as a continuing student.
+1000 I have TFO's on my XD45C (my carry gun) and my XD9 Tactical (my club gun). They are the best sights I've owned and would highly recommend them for the XD.

Here's a pic of my XD45C wearing its TFO's and a freshly refinished slide. :)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Love my TruGlos

·
Registered
8 Posts
I suggest you take a very close look at the XS sights.

They offer a Big dot front sight and a Standard dot front.

I prefer the smaller Standard front sight.

These are "express" type sights with tritium inserts and are very fast. I use these on my 1911 and on a Glock 34 we used to own. I will be getting a set for my XD45 Tactical after x-mas.

Until I got my XD45 I was shooting USPSA matches with my 1911 and the XS
sights. They are very fast for the up close stuff yet accurate enough for the 20+ yard targets too. Make sure you get the smaller "Standard" dot front sight.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I saw that you said that you were thinking about a service for carry. You may want to look at the XD45 compact. It has a shorter grip and takes the service mags for reloads. It's much easier to conceal. As far as sights go I highly recomend the XS 24/7 Big Dots. I put those on my 45C and couldn't be happier. Very quick target acquisition. Just what you need in a carry piece.

I have Trijicons on my H&K and like those to. However for a carry piece I prefer the Big Dots and am thinking about switching the sights on my H&K.

Either way you can't go wrong with Trijicon, Big Dots, or Meprolights.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
In order of preference from the pistols I own or have owned, the Trijicons and the Meprolights are the way to go.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have never had any problems with Trijicon or Meprolights on any guns but I did have a set of TruGlow TFO on an XD45 service and the front sight self distructed in less then 100 rounds. I had to send the slide to TruGlow and they put on both a new front and rear sight. I am not sure if it was a factory defect or from installation. I did pay a gun smith to install them. But after that experience I lost all faith in the sights.

On a side note: Buy high cap mags for your gun now!! Hell any other mags for guns you may think you will want to own. By the time your 21 you may not be able to buy them or have to pay a lot of money. This is exactly what happened to me in 1994.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
I have the Trijicons (green & yellow), Meprolights, TFOs and XS Big Dots.
I actually prefer the XS Big Dots but my eyes are about 40 years older than yours. But they are great for quick acquisition of target. However they are expensive, usually over $100.
However the Trijicons or Meprolights might be good choices and are less money.
TFOs have had their problems although I haven't had any.
I was able to take a couple of guns w/night sights at the gun shop into the men's room, shut the door and check out the sights.
Good luck with your decision.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts