Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first set in April 2018 and had them installed on my XD 9 around October 2018. I used XD Man for all my sight installations.

In March 2019, after 2-3k rounds and lots of nightstand use (not a hard life for the gun), the orange ring on the front sight had flaked off. I contacted Night Fision in April 2019 and they warrantied the front sight; a replacement arrived about 1-2 weeks later.

In mid-May, I took the sight out of the shipping box and mailed it to XD Man. When it came back, I took it to the range and put 550-600 rounds through it. When I got home I noticed the front sight emitted no light. There appears to be a crack of indent in the tritium vial.

Initially I thought it was a bad batch, but two sights purchased over a year apart seems like they have horrible quality control.

I know that a fair amount of Youtube gun guys posted around the same time about Night Fision and said they loved the sights...that was not what caused me to buy them, but it definitely makes me wary of any big gun guys recommending new products that provide a critical function.

I'm going to contact Night Fision and see what happens. I just had XD Man install NF sights on my wife's XD, and also ordered another set for an XDS...I wish I had seen my bullsh;t front sight before that.

XD Man contacted me after I made a social media post about it. At no point did I ever think he was the failure cause, and I still dont. He generously offered assistance and insight, as well a good deal on other sights. I cannot recommend him enough. He went above and beyond.

So yeah, two consecutive failures, and one on the replacement/warranty.

If you plan on using your sights, I would strongly recommend not buying Night Fision. I've seen similar posts on a Sig forum and scattered elsewhere. Some people don't care, as long as they get replacements. I think critical components are important, hence this write up and warning.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Lots of talk on the CZ Forum about these, or at least lots of excitement by some of the members.

I haven't seen anyone complain about failures, but I'm not following those threads either.

I agree with you, warranty or not, if something isn't reliable I don't want it on my pistol/rifle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, they don't like being pressed/questioned.

The first replacement was shipped to me, and I was specifically told I did not need to ship the defective sight back (I sent pics).

The first exchange regarding the defective replacement also told me they would go ahead and ship out a new one.

Then I said I had a horrible experience with their products and asked about their quality control, and if they could work with Trijicon to improve 3rd party vials.

Today I received a message that I would have to return the front sight for inspection, and then they would decide if the warranty covered it.

I pointed out this contradicted our initial exchange on the defective replacement, and that I'd have to pay someone to remove it.

No dice.

I think I'll just return this to Brownells and get non-tritium sights.

My gun already has a Streamlight TLR-8; since it has a laser+light mode, the tritium seems to be more of a headache than it's worth.

I've read tritium failures from every brand. I'd rather not play the "does this work" game for critical components.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Well, they don't like being pressed/questioned.

The first replacement was shipped to me, and I was specifically told I did not need to ship the defective sight back (I sent pics).

The first exchange regarding the defective replacement also told me they would go ahead and ship out a new one.

Then I said I had a horrible experience with their products and asked about their quality control, and if they could work with Trijicon to improve 3rd party vials.

Today I received a message that I would have to return the front sight for inspection, and then they would decide if the warranty covered it.

I pointed out this contradicted our initial exchange on the defective replacement, and that I'd have to pay someone to remove it.

No dice.

I think I'll just return this to Brownells and get non-tritium sights.

My gun already has a Streamlight TLR-8; since it has a laser+light mode, the tritium seems to be more of a headache than it's worth.

I've read tritium failures from every brand. I'd rather not play the "does this work" game for critical components.
Damn dude, sorry to hear that. It sucks to had that many problems. I've had mine on my XD Mod2 Service for 2 years. I've had no problems. I was about to order a new set for my EMP, but I think I'll look around. Thanks for your post. Maybe what they are making now are not up to the quality of what they were making then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts