Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, but what benefit does nickle-plated ammo (casings) have over brass? Seems the plating is touted as a benefit to aid in feeding, but how exactly does that work?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I use them because they look pretty. :lol:

Glancing around the web, I see:

improved feed
improved extraction
better chemical resistance than brass or aluminum

I can see the possibility of improved extraction, either due to higher hardness or a lower coefficient of friction - although I would expect that one would need a pretty crudded up chamber to notice a difference. Feed has me a bit puzzled, since most of the feed issues that I have seen are related to either the bullet or the lip of the case hanging up during feed (okay, there was the one time where the case dimensions were out of whack when I didn't have the dies set right). I suppose that if one had a situation where something was "digging into" the case during feed that a nickel plated case might feed better. It certainly has become a way to visually differentiate product.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
The Nickel plated cases don't tarnish as easily or quickly as brass. On a duty belt, that might be a consideration.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
1. Do not tarnish
2. cycle easier in my dillons with both lee and dillon dies
3. Slicker action in the gun.

·
Registered
409 Posts
something for the rifle reloader and nickel plated is it takes up space inthe case if your rinning a compressed load, it might up the chamber pressures to much.

It stores really well. I keep all my long term loads in nickel.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Can you buy this stuff anywhere ammo is sold or is it less available?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
darkfire said:
For factory ammo, nickel plated casings seem to be most common on some of the high-end defense ammo (Federal Hydra-Shoks as an example). The only target/plinking grade ammo that I've seen with nickel plated casings is Ultramax remanufactured ammo where there were a few mixed in amongst the conventional brass casings.

For handloading/reloading, availability of nickel plated brass depends on where you shop and what they carry. I don't see much locally - my inventory of nickel plated brass was ordered from Midway (with the exception of the spent Ultramax and Hydra-Shok cases).

·
Registered
409 Posts
JD McDorce said:
darkfire said:
For factory ammo, nickel plated casings seem to be most common on some of the high-end defense ammo (Federal Hydra-Shoks as an example). The only target/plinking grade ammo that I've seen with nickel plated casings is Ultramax remanufactured ammo where there were a few mixed in amongst the conventional brass casings.

For handloading/reloading, availability of nickel plated brass depends on where you shop and what they carry. I don't see much locally - my inventory of nickel plated brass was ordered from Midway (with the exception of the spent Ultramax and Hydra-Shok cases).
bout the same for me. I have about 2k reloaded that I got second hand, most are federal cases

·
Registered
149 Posts
Good to know, thanks to you both :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am unaware of any objective testing that proves the claims for finishing the cases improves reliability performance. In anything by anybody.

Plenty of military and LE testing has been done w brass and nickel case w some pretty impressive reliability results w both. No clear edge to either I am aware of.

Some agencies buy virtually the same premium ammo but specify brass cases instead of the nifty nickel cases to save a nickel. :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
I kown one thing. In my exprience the nickel plated cases do not last as long as standard brass cases as far as the number of loadings you can do on them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
So Can anybody tell me how much nickle plated defense ammo runs for a box of 40. cal? And also someone said nickle plated ammo might be harmful to the xd?

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Anywhere from $14.00-$20.00 per 20 rounds for good stuff like Speer Gold-Dot, Corbon, Winchester Ranger SXT.

Nickle brass is not harmful to your handgun in anyway shape or form, you may be thinking steel cased or the nickle coated steel casings used by European manufactures.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts