Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at MidwayUSA at the moment because I figured the best and most cost effective way to keep shooting my .45 affordably was to have a local shop do custom reloads for me. So I'm here and am not sure if I should pick up the brass or nickel shells.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I have read that the nickel plating process actually weakens the brass to some extent. Not that there is a problem for first loadings, or even second, just that the plated cases will not last as long as plain brass ones. My personal experience in this is that plated .38 and .357 Magnum brass do not last for as many reloadings as do the brass cases. The only advantage to nickel cases that I can think of is that they don't tarnish. Oh, and they are easier to find in the grass :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On average, how many loadings can a standard case withstand (ie. the Starline Brass)?

·
Registered
119 Posts
On average, how many loadings can a standard case withstand (ie. the Starline Brass)?
This is %100 dependant on the type of loads you are running. Also, this varies a lot by caliber. The casewall of a .44Mag and .40SW are quite a bit different. Said .44Mag could be loaded 10 times with light target loads. Of the calibers availble in XD, I would conjecture that on average brass could last for 3-4 loadings. Again, this is not gospel and will depend on loadings. ALWAYS CHECK FOR PRESSURE SIGNS AND/OR CRACKS WHEN RECYCLING BRASS.

For me personally, I get into once fired .40 brass for about 1.5 cents a piece. I load em up once and forget about it. With any high pressure pistol caliber, its just not worth raping the brass stricly so your load tags can proudly disply "fired 6x" or some such nonsense.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Half a dozen or so reloads with .38/.357 brass cases, maybe 3-4 with nickel plated.
I've loaded some .45ACP brass so much the writing on the headstamp is gone. I get about 6-8 loadings out of 9mm brass. I've never gone more than 3-4 loadings on .40 brass, simply because it's so easy to get here, after the first of second reload, I leave it on the ground. As previously stated, though, a lot depends on the quality of the brass to begin with, and how hot your loads are. I tend to load to about 3/4 level, about the same level as WWB to SLIGHTLY hotter. (I do load to near top end on my 10mm loads, but only with new brass--Starline, actually--they make good brass.). I don't reload A-MERC of Fiocci brass because of quality, and I have quit reloading S&B brass because the primer pockets are undersized and are a PITA to reprime.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have no real preferance for either one. i load my .45 for ever it seems. my 9mm 4-5 and my .40 2-3 times. i usualy get lazy and shoot it and not pick it up. its cheap and i load for myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts