Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any advantage or disadvantage to nickel plated brass? I found a good price on some Remington 45 ACP, with nickel plated brass, Just curious what you all think.

Thanks!

NickT

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Hi Nick,

I asked the same thing on the 1st of this month. I am not sure how to copy a link to that thread. I just did a "search" for Nickle vs Brass and my thread was listed had some good answers.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Looks pretty.

Doesn't last as long as plain brass - often splits after just a few cycles in higher pressure rounds.

.45acp is fairly low-pressure and easier on the cases, but they still don't last as long as plain old yellow brass.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've had flaking issues with Starline .45 ACP nickel brass in the past, I just use regular brass now. I still have about 7-800 Federal nickel cases left and they have always worked well.

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
I inspect before reloading and shootem again. When they begin to split, throw them away.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
As noted, I find nickel cases fail sooner than brass. The RP nickel I bought, was too small ID to hold a jacketed bullet after sizing. So I used it only for lead bullets, whcih run 0.001" larger in dia.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts