Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Being a permanent residence of TN and blessed to have the time to visit the York home that's a great reminder.

Nice post bigmoguls!

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Cool article, however, I wasn't aware that the 1911's recoil was so ferocious.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Didn't you see "Saving Pvt. Ryan"? A 1911 can take out a TANK! :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you are interested in York's story, I highly recommend this book - Amazon.com: Sgt. York: His Life, Legend & Legacy: The Remarkable Untold Story of Sgt. Alvin C. York eBook: John Perry: Books

I found it very interesting the shooting heritage he had living Tennessee and how it played into his experiences during the war. Basically, he credited some of the shooting contests he regularly participated in as a normal member of his community with his ability to fend off the Germans at the battle he became famous for. Also interesting was that he was initially a conscientious objector to the war as his church back home preached pacifism. His interactions and Bible studies with Christians in the army convinced him that war was necessary at times. Very intriguing, principled man and I really recommend this book to anyone who enjoys history or shooting.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Especially when you compare the 1911 to a 357 or larger Magnum Revolver. Pick up a 1911 after shooting a box of 357 Magnums in a 36 ounce revolver and the 45 ACP feels like a 22 Magnum. It's also quieter than either the 357 or 22 Magnum.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
My very first pistol was a Ruger SR45. As a novice shooter I found the round intimidating simply because of it's reputation. However, I quickly became adept at shooting it and enjoyed it very much. Actually, it is an easy round to shoot once you get past the "horror stories".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts