Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been some time, but I had posted in a Glock 19 Exo thread a while back how I had placed an order in early May for a 19 Exo and it was taking months to get. Turns out, Failzero had gone out of business or something like that, hence the delay. The guys who started Failzero or were the brains of Failzero left and started WMD Guns (http://www.wmdguns.com/) and are now calling the Nickel Boron coating, what Failzero was calling Exo, NiB-X and my Glock 19 was sent there for the coating. I picked it up last week, Friday.

First impressions of the coating: Love it! The finish and application is excellent, so much so that I want to have all my firearms (that fell of the boat on my last fishing trip) finished with this coating. I've only put 100 rounds through it, but it was enough to get some powder/residue on the pieces and it's no lie, they just wipe off. No need for a cleaner or anything, I used a dry paper towel and everything wiped right off. Very nice! The rest of the claims will appear over time.

First impressions of the Gen 3 Glock 19: Just okay. This is my first Glock and have read of all of the "problems" with the Gen 4's which is why I wanted to get the Gen 3. Using Wally World Federal 115gr 9mm, I had shells not extracting very far, hitting me in the head, and round number 13 stovepiped with a double feed. I thought this was just limited to the Gen 4's, but not the case. I've read Glock Talk stating it's the ammo's fault, but no other pistol in my inventory (that fell off the boat) has any issues with the ammo. Is it softer/lower-powered, sure, but as mentioned, no other pistol I've had has an issue with it. I'll be ordering the Wolff recoil rod and reduced power spring to have it work with Federal and possibly other low powered ammo. Shouldn't be necessary IMHO.

Other than the problem with extraction, I like the pistol. I installed a butt plug and changed the front sight to a Glock night sight because 1) it was only $30, 2) the dots are bigger, 3) they glow in the dark if needed, and 4) it's so darn easy to change one on a Glock so why not. I actually like the rear, square notch so I'm leaving it as is.

Wrapping up, overall, I really like the pistol, but not crazy about having to buy an after-market recoil rod and spring to fix an issue with a brand new pistol. At least I hope it's just the recoil spring being too strong that's the issue, because I've read that the extractor is also an issue with the Gen 4s. The posts I've read recommended the Lone Wolf Dist. extractor over the factory extractor. Again, changing it on a new pistol shouldn't be necessary IMHO. I'd expect that on a Ruger 10/22, but not a Glock 19.

Now, how to tell the wife I have it . . . :shock:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Those are really cool looking glocks, congrats.

Is it possible you were limp wristing?

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Nice EXO!! I have a standard Gen 3 G19, about 5 months old now, purchased brand new. I too have had issues with erratic brass ejections. With the stock extractor, I had at least 2-3 pieces of brass hit me in the face every magazine. I ended up getting an LWD extractor which solved 90% of the problem. However, once in a while, I do get a piece of brass to the face and with cheap ammo, the last round or two, the brass will eject straight up or forward.

I've got about 1800 rounds through the gun now and I've had 2 FTF's and one stovepipe. One FTF was a limp wrist, shooting weak hand and pulled the trigger before I had a grip on it and the stovepipe was after installing a stainless steal guide rod and new spring...I figured I might have an issue with the ammo. The other FTF is unknown, weak ammo is my guess. The point to all this is it seems some of the later generation G19's are having some issues with extraction and what not.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have a 19 EXO and like the finish and the pistol overall. Wanting to find a 17 in the same but don't know about their refurbs on the site might be interesting and will have to check back once the site is more complete.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
My G19 EXO is a Gen 3, I love it.
Put some Ameriglo I-dot night sights on it.
The perfect home defense gun for me and my bride..;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
In my opinion, I have had many many G19/17 ejection failures and was told I was limp wristing. Then came my XD purchase :grin:

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My G19 EXO is a Gen 3, I love it.
Put some Ameriglo I-dot night sights on it.
The perfect home defense gun for me and my bride..;)

I almost ordered the Ameriglo iDot sights but decided to just get the Glock front this time around. I love the Hack front sight with the orange surrounding the green tritium, but I'm pretty sure I would have to change the rear sight in order to have it line up properly so I passed. May be a future upgrade.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In my opinion, I have had many many G19/17 ejection failures and was told I was limp wristing. Then came my XD purchase :grin:
Yeah, I like the NiB-X coating so much I was thinking of getting the NiB-X G26, but after the G19, I think I'll just continue to carry my XD9SC instead. I have twelve or thirteen 9mm's and the G19 is the first to fail with factory ammo when new out of the box.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I contacted Glock support yesterday and the person wasn't wanting to help in any regard. What's more, he told me that the pistol needed 500-1000 rounds for a break-in. First time I'd heard this being necessary for a Glock so I asked where that was documented. Response: "It's not.". Great!

After further investigation, I learned that it seems the problem may be due to the extractor and not the recoil spring. Follow this thread: Gen 3 Glock 19 extracts shells into face... - Glock Talk

It would seem that the problem I'm experiencing is with the latest batch of G3 G19s. Seems that Glock decided to use the extractors from the Gen 4s in the Gen 3s and may be the reason why the extraction is weak and causing stovepipes.

Needless to say, Glock is saying it's the ammo. The fanboys say it's the grip/stance. Either way, money has to be spent after purchase to make the gun reliable.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Well, I contacted Glock support yesterday and the person wasn't wanting to help in any regard. What's more, he told me that the pistol needed 500-1000 rounds for a break-in. First time I'd heard this being necessary for a Glock so I asked where that was documented. Response: "It's not.". Great!

After further investigation, I learned that it seems the problem may be due to the extractor and not the recoil spring. Follow this thread: Gen 3 Glock 19 extracts shells into face... - Glock Talk

It would seem that the problem I'm experiencing is with the latest batch of G3 G19s. Seems that Glock decided to use the extractors from the Gen 4s in the Gen 3s and may be the reason why the extraction is weak and causing stovepipes.

Needless to say, Glock is saying it's the ammo. The fanboys say it's the grip/stance. Either way, money has to be spent after purchase to make the gun reliable.
Funny you mention that thread as that's me, my thread. The LWD extractor fixed the problem, mostly. Just recently I get some brass to the head, I got two in 200 rounds and the last round out of the magazine usually flies vertical or forward but that's only since I added the ss guide rod but stock spring. My G19 works, it goes bang 99.99% of the time so I can't complain too much (2 FTFs and 1 stovepipe in 1800 or so rounds). The Glock fanboys will always say it's limp wristing and others say it's purely the extractor or spring. The truth might lay somewhere in between I think.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts