• Ruger Blackhawk Convertible 7.5" .45ACP/.45Colt

• Taurus Raging Judge Magnum 6" .454/.45Colt/.410

• S&W 327 5" 8-Shot Scandium Frame .357 Mag

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided I need a new revolver in the collection. But I want something that's "a little different" as I own or have access to borrow many 'traditional' revolvers in a variety of calibers.

Some of these choices are probably not everyone's cup of tea... but that's the point!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
you want the Blackhawk.

I'd honestly say get one in .44 mag instead though.

It's not a gimmick gun in any sense of the word. It's just a damn tough design and a great shooter.

it'll easily be the most enjoyable and hell, I think it's the cheapest option too. If you really wanna be different, they offer a .41 Magnum.

unless you have a press and willing to buy stuff to reload i don't know if I'd opt for that caliber though.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
I decided I need a new revolver in the collection. But I want something that's "a little different" as I own or have access to borrow many 'traditional' revolvers in a variety of calibers.

Some of these choices are probably not everyone's cup of tea... but that's the point!
.45Colt/.45ACP

·
Registered
29,661 Posts
The Blackhawk or the Smith.

If you do go with the Smith, go with the 327 Night Guard. They're a hoot.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, the Blackhawk has been on my "list" the longest. It's also the most tried and true of the items on the list.

DevJames, I didn't mean to imply the Blackhawk as a gimmick in any way shape or form. I just put it with the 'unusuals' because I really like the long barreled, convertible version - while most opt for the shorter lengths. The reason I wanted the .45Colt was to try some of the "ultra" 45 loads that push it right up there with the .44 Mag. And I can still shoot the .45 ACP in it that I already have for my 1911s.

As for the Smith, the 327 PD (very similar to the Night Guard) is probably the one I'd look for. But currently they're very hard to find - and while I've seen them around $800ish, I also see them for $1100 at times. So I'd need the right deal to come along.

The Rhino just looks cool, and honestly I'm intrigued by its recoil characteristics. I had a chance to sample one of the newer Rhino triggers the other day and it was surprisingly smooooooth. I may try renting one soon.

The Taurus is the model I'm least keen on, I just think it would be interesting to own such a giant, heavy revolver. And it would add 3 new cartridges to what I am capable of shooting, in one package.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
IMHO get the S&W or the Ruger.

The Smith retails for $1289. For that money you could get the M&P15 Tactical.

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
Blackhawk. At least that's my vote to go with my .41 mag and the .357/9mm convertable.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Smithy, just cause after I saw the pic of it, I dreamt of it last night :D seriously. I think might end up buying it myself.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ive always been interested in the judges seeing i live in snake country

1 - 10 of 10 Posts