Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since He may miss it due to the huricane, here is a picture of what it looked like when I was done. I should have got a before pic.

From left to right Stock finish, Combat Grey, Colt Grey, Matte Black

And as requested a better picture of the combat grey. The slide and well as controls are done in the combat grey.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
That Combat Grey looks sweet!

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
How durable is this stuff? To scrapes and use? To rust?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
James, do you bead blast prior to coating?

·
Registered
200 Posts
What color is the far left?
I've also been wondering about how tough that coat is. I've got a new sc9 that doesn't have any finish problems or rust, but I'm temped to change up the color a bit. I'm just afraid of this coat not lasting.

UD.

·
Registered
200 Posts
That would make sense. :) I guess it's the lighting for the pic, it just looks way lighter then mine. That combat grey looks better each time I look at the pic.

UD.

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The one to the left is the stock finish. I do not bead blast.....the reason is that the Bruniral acts like real parkerizing in that it absorbs liquids. The Duracoat loves parkerize and as with the bruniral it absorbs the coat making for a better finish. I put a light texture on my finishes to cut on Glare. And you do not have to oil with the coat and you should have no worries about rust. If you use a kydex holster the coat will last longer than the stock finish but as with any finish even the Glocks it will eventually wear. The coat is awsome for those who have a night stand gun or a carry gun that you want to put away not oil and forget aboudt it:)

If you Draw your pistol thousands of times like I do or say OldSchool practicing for compititions stay away from any spray on finishes. If you practice every once in a while but your pistol mostly rides in the holster then you should not have any problems.

·
Registered
440 Posts
As if anyone didn't know it already, I LOVE the DC finish AJAMES did in matte black on my XD. Pics coming soon along with my new Bushy. :D

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
that can't be stock finish

it's not covered in rust !!!!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
That is sooooo... SWEEEEEEEET... I really like that Gey, It would look good with the Hi-viz sights we talked about but the wife say wait till X-Mas.

BTW what would you charge to do the slide for he SW99??? If you would do it at all...

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would do it for the same price as an xd slide. Although I have not actually taken a 99 apart, do you have a website that shows how to do it, or can you strip the slide......Although I would find it fun to take it appart.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Slvr Surfr said:
ajames can you post a better pic of that Combat gray ? Im interested in seeing what that would look like on my OD green slide.

Thanks!
+1

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Check my first post of this thread, I updated it an included the whole pistol its a closer view of the grey.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
how much for the slide and controls?

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Hey AJames, how much to refinish mine? My original finish is still rust free but wearing thin in come areas due to holster wear (darn kydex). Also do you do CZ-75? I got a good old CZ-75 that is starting to lose it's polymer finish in places.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
What about those of us that have had rust? Is that rust going to fester under the new finish?

I'm also interested in the slide + controls cost, assuming the controls were sent separately so the frame wouldn't be included.

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All the rust and everything is cleaned off the slide. In fact the slide is given a chemical bath that strips everything but the bruniral so its the cleanest its ever been not even finger print oil on the slide. So nothing festers under the coat.

http://www.xd-hs2000.com/duracoat.html

1 - 20 of 43 Posts