Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new DPNS AR15. Absolutely love it! Was actually shopping for a .243 or a .308 to have some fun with, and the guy at the store showed me this one. Teamed it up with a Burris 3x tactical scope, and man was I having fun!!!!

On the downside, I picked up a can of Federal 5.56 NATO at my local Cabelas, and that was the only let down. Literally had a 37% FTF rate. My first 3 times pulling the trigger, I actually thought that I had a bad rifle. 4th round chambered went off and scared the heck out of me.

I ran 300 rounds of the Federal through it, then switched over to Winchester .223 for another 300 rounds. Didn't have a single FTF on the Winchester. So I'm assuming it was just a garbage round of ammo from Federal.

Aside from that, I'm loving it. 3 shot groupings into a half dollar at 100 yards all day!

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like it a lot. Pain in the neck to site in at first. Was shooting constant groupings 14 inches to the right and 6 inches low at 100 yards, so that took some toying around with.

I got the AR-332 with red and green holo recticle and 5 position adjustable dimmer. The rail mount is a life saver, and returns to zero everytime

·
Registered
838 Posts
What Federal 5.56 were you having trouble with?

I have a couple thousand rounds of Lake City XM193 through my M&P15 without a single FTF. Various packaging types (strippers, bulk, plastic seperators etc.) and none had any trouble for me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can find it on Cabelas web site. It was the tin of 420 rounds on stripper clips. I was looking at the tin again this afternoon at the range, and I noticed on the bottom of the label or said it wasn't for duty use..... sounds like Federal reload rounds.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its 5.56. NATO rounds are abundant up here, and cheaper than 223 in most cases.

I ran a different batch if 5.56 through it from a different manufacturer, and had zero problems. Must have been a bad batch. Confirmed they were Federal reloads after some additional research. I will post sine pics of the cartridges when I get home. They just don't look right

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's a close up of the Federal (left) and the Remington (right)

I saw the discoloration when I first opened the case, but its getting worse the further into the case you get. I've got about 100 rounds of it left, then I can stock up on some real ammo

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts

I saw the discoloration when I first opened the case, but its getting worse the further into the case you get. I've got about 100 rounds of it left, then I can stock up on some real ammo
Looks like the 5.56 I have been using, the Remington version even.

·
Banned
6,667 Posts

That "discoloration" is the annealing process of the case. It extends the life of the brass and makes neck tension more consistent.

Commercial ammo makers will tumble/polish their cases so you won't see this, mil ammo will not be "pretty" ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts