Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an XD-45 4" Service middle of September as a birthday present to myself. Currently waiting on arrival of my CCW. LOVE the XDs. 2 of my sons are currently in the military (a Marine and a Soldier) and have been talking up the purchase of a handgun for the past year or so. Both told me it's all personal taste/feel, so I went and rented a few different makes and found the XDs to feel the best to me. And the thumb safety was just an added plus over some other makes. Now that I've tested the water, so to speak, the Soldier has ordered one, and the Marine is about to.
Seen lots of suggestions as to holsters and such.
Looking for a good IWB (probably 2, one of each L-R) for mine with a laser sight on the rail.
For now, though, putting 100-200 rounds downrange about every other weekend to get proficient at hitting a 6" target at 7 yards, with the occasional 15 yards. Right now, using the FBI qual target with my 6" sticky targets. Averaging 90-90% in the center mass, but only about 50-60% in my 6" target. Should I go back to school (It's been 25+ years since I shot regularly and that was with a revolver) or is it just a matter of getting back on the bicycle and practice? Should I increase my numbers?
I know it's a lot of questions for a 1st timer, but I notice that y'all love to help us newbies. And I promise never to call the magazine a clip!!!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
203 Posts
I personally like leather backed Kydex for my IWB. I have owned A Crossbreed Supertuck and The Qwikclip and really liked both. But I currently have a Comptac MTAC and really like the ability to change the bodies whenever I get a new gun.
You'll have to figure out what you want to do with the holster though. Leather, kydex, both? Shirt tuckability? Clip or strap? In theory you should only need one holster, but i can almost guarantee by the time you find the "perfect" one, you have at least 3, especially after you get your permit:)

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
As for an IWB, I use a Crossbreed horsehide holster. I have heard good things about the CompTac MTAC. You can't go wrong with either.

As for practice, you could practice more, but you are doing well by just practicing. If you can afford it, you may want to go to one of the gun schools - Gunsite, LFI or some other school. They will not only teach you the fundementals but also some tactics.

Good Luck and have fun with your new purchase

·
Registered
134 Posts
Great gun, have fun, practice all you can. I don't make enough time mostly, but getting to the basics now that I'm home for a while.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
i use a taguw iwb leatherholster n love it its got a`metal clip and sometimes i forget im wearing it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts