Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I'd like to say hello and introduce myself. I'm a new handgun owner. I just purchased my first handgun this past Tuesday and hopefully will be able to pick it up the middle of next week. What did I get?? I bought a new Spingfield XD9 4" Service Model.

I came to this forum following info and link from another online forum. I've spent the last two days reading lots of great posts. What a great resource!!

Now for my concern and questions... Although I purchased my XD9 knowing about the pistol's "finish" issues, some of the posts I've read here really make me worry about caring for my new handgun. I'm not second guessing my purchase, I just want to make sure I protect my investment.

My questions fall into two categories: XD Care and Coating Options.

First, caring for an XD... What products should I get to clean, oil, and protect my new XD from wear and rust? Please remember, I'm a newbie to handguns and am looking to do this right.

Second, coating options for the XD... Is it a good idea to get a new XD coated from the start? If so, and the coating is done by a 3rd party (i.e. not Springfield), does that void the warranty in any way and/or create problems for me if I ever have to get the XD serviced?

As far as coating go, I really like the looks of the DuraCoat process done by James Nicholas (ajamesp51). Although I'll be sending James an email, I'd like to hear from those who have had DuraCoat applied. Specifically, I'd like to know how the DuarCoat has held up and what type of ongoing maintenance (if any) is required.

Thanks in advance to all that reply...

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Welcome aboard!

To protect the gun against wear, put it in your safe and don't shoot it. :) Guns wear, no helping that. Mine, for example, has a good bit of bluing worn off the left side and all most all of the bluing left on the right, with the exception of a long stripe on the top-right edge (comes from using a holster that's half kydex, half leather). Finish wear is just an inevitability with a frequently used gun.

Which leads me in to the finish thing -- it's blown out of proportion. Really, it is. If you don't keep it clean, free of moisture and rust inducing salts, yes, it will rust. I've had rust on my XD, but then again, I've also had rust on my Remington 870, my WASR AK-47 and my 10/22. It happens when you live in a humid area and have very corrosive sweat as I do. Basically, the XD is just like any other gun -- you've got to take care of it.

That said, the preffered protection product here on the board is Blue Wonder's Armadillo -- it's a polymer wax that makes the finish impervious to rust and moisture. Unfortunately, you've got to reapply (more frequently if you carry it) and it's kinda obnoxious to apply. And as far as I know, 3rd party refinishing will not void the warranty. I can't comment on the DuraCoat durability though -- I've no idea.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I also think the finish issue is blown out of proportion... you are only hearing from the people with troubles... the people without troubles usually dont have a reason to speak up.... I wouldnt reccomend a new finish right off the bat, because you dont know if you will have rust issues or not.... good luck and congrats on your purchase....

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
a gun is a tool, tools are ment to be used, use leads to wear, wear leads to breakage.

you have all the right to worry about the finish on your gun, but honestly your worrying about nothing. a worn/rusty finish does not affect the guns(and shooters) ability to work properly. and to be honest, all the wear you put on your gun from usage makes it feel more personal to you, it shows the effort you put into mastering your tool.

it is your gun, and it is your choice. i just want to make you aware of the reality of the "bad finish".

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
tec said:
Welcome to the gun nut sight!
Hopefully some of the following can be of some help. Eventually this will be a sticky for all to use/see.

General Questions and Answers:

<giant snip!>

thus giving you a very fast bullet.

With this post again!?! :)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
tec said:
mr0w1 said:
tec said:
Hopefully some of the following can be of some help. Eventually this will be a sticky for all to use/see.

<giant snip!>

Yes.

I still contend, as do others, that we could really use a general questions / answers section for the new or forgetfull shooter.
How many times has somebody with a low post count come on here and asked a question only to be blasted by some members here. Why not just have a one stop shop for the COMMON, SIMPLE questions. Update / augment it as needed.

Don't get me wrong. I complain in jest. It's just that I read a good chunk of it every single time before I realize I've already read it before. It is indeed a good, valuable post that is sticky-worthy.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
tec said:
mr0w1 said:
tec said:
mr0w1 said:
tec said:

<giant snip!>

Yes.

I still contend, as do others, that we could really use a general questions / answers section for the new or forgetfull shooter.
How many times has somebody with a low post count come on here and asked a question only to be blasted by some members here. Why not just have a one stop shop for the COMMON, SIMPLE questions. Update / augment it as needed.

Don't get me wrong. I complain in jest. It's just that I read a good chunk of it every single time before I realize I've already read it before. It is indeed a good, valuable post that is sticky-worthy.
No, I read your comments right. Trust me, I feel your frustration. :D Maybe now that kermee is back among the living XD'ers, he can do something about making this a sticky. hopefully.

.....nested comments....

OH PLEASE DON'T KILL ME! I couldn't help it!! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No offense, but do you think you could take this FAQ issue back channel. As a newbie trying to gather specific information, I find it very frustrating that my post has been hi-jacked. I guess I'll need to create another post...

Thanks...

·
Registered
244 Posts
If you got the black finish, keep it out of that free holster that came with it! It wrecked my black service pretty quick. My subbie is bi-tone though, so no probs with finish wear. I use the Kleen Bore Gun Cleaning Kit I bought from my gun shop (recommended) and have had no problems with rust whatsoever on either of my XDs. Of course I live in a dry desert, but I am very anal about cleaning. I also bought a silicone cloth that I wipe the guns down with periodically. If you wear your XD, wipe it down with a silicone cloth every day as soon as you get home! (don't even shower first! hehe, j/k) This should keep the rust off your XD.

As far as the finish, I dunno about that, sorry. I DO plan on getting my black service coated sometime soon, just don't know when. I don't believe it voids the warranty on anything other than the finish (which would have been removed!). Springfield does warranty the finish against rust, to an extent, but you can read about that elsewhere, just run a search.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts