Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an XD9 Tactical, so I'm new to XDs and this site. I have a feeling that I'll think that my question will probobly be a dumb one once I know the answer...but here goes:

I haven't shot it yet or field stripped it. I was reading the instructions and it said under the disassembly section that the 5" models don't have a captive recoil system, so be careful when disassembly and reassembly??? What does that mean? Whats the difference between the 4" and 5" models, that I should be paying additional attention to? Any info will be helpful.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Welcome aboard. What that means is that the tactical model has a guide rod and spring. They are two individual pieces. The sub compact and service models have a one piece spring/rod assembly. The assembly doesn't have a lot of tension on it and can be inserted or removed without danger of it flying across the room if you slip. The separate rod and spring can go zooming across the room if you accidentally slip while taking down or putting back together. Don's Guide Rod, that you will hear about on the forum, is a two piece replacement for the assembly for the service model.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Service recoil and spring assembly.
</img>

Tactical two piece recoil rod and spring.

</img>

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I can see it. I even tried from my work computer and home my home computer to make sure the pics would show up. First time using this yahoo/sbc photo album.

Can anybody else see them?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Sorry should have asked.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help. I never knew that there was a such thing as a one-piece. My other gun is also two pieces, so I just assumed they were all like that. Thanks again. Cool site!

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Thanks, good to know. :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
agalindo is 100% correct. I also have a 9MM Tactical. Unless you have a custom Captive Rod System.
I dont see the logic of switching springs with every box of different loads/Grainage. A little much if you ask me. (personal opinion and personal choice.) I had a Captive recoil rod made with a spring poundage that works well with various Grainage. I like it and the instalation is alot easier than fighting a rod and spring. Again this is a personal choice and personal observation.
[/URL]

[/img]

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok, so to me it looks like the tactical use ONE recoil spring, and the service uses TWO, one over the top of the other. Is the service setup similar to the HK system?
If it is, does that mean the tactical model isn't? Is the setup for the service model BETTER??
I'm another newbie, so thanks in advance to anyone that wants to break it down for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts