Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum but not to Springfield as I've owned an XD9 and XD45 for several years and they have been great guns with no issues. I currently use a Kel-tec 380 for my concealed carry weapon but I wanted something with a larger round and also more enjoyable to shoot. After holding the EMP I had to have it and I've always had a soft spot in my heart for 1911s. I took it home Friday, cleaned it and lubed it up. Today I took it to the range to break it in.

I fired roughly 200 rounds of Winchester 115 gr FMJ with FTF about twice every 27 rounds.

Next up I tested 25 rounds of Hornady TAP-FPD 124 gr with FTF every 4 to 5 rounds.

Next I test 25 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124 gr with FTF almost every other round.

I'm going back to the range to put another 200 rounds of winchester 115 gr through it to see if the FTF problems improve but I'm going to hold off on shooting any more SD ammo until the issue improves. If not I will send it back to Springfield like others on the site have done. I really want this to be my primary carry weapon but can't get over the reliability issues.

I've read the EMP can be very finicky with different types of ammunition so I'm asking are there better choices out there? My XDs and Kel-Tec will take any ammo I throw at them with out a hiccup so I've never had to select specific ammo for my guns. What should I be using? Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
127,171 Posts
Personally, I have no experience with the EMP. However, I have a friend who carries one and she claims never to have had any issues with it at all.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have one and read, then experienced the same issues. It didn't matter what I was shooting really. Just shoot the ball ammo making sure to switch around the magazines. after a few dozen rounds in each one the gun will run just fine. Test your SD ammo after, making sure it feeds. Polishing and or cleaning the feed ramp helps.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Some are just particular. Check the ramp after a few rounds for where the round fails to feed at. Perhaps it needs a bit of polishing.
Watch for where it sticks, it can lead you to solutions.

·
Premium Member
12,086 Posts
I've heard anecdotally that some 1911's need as many as 500 rounds to thoroughly break in and get reliable. I think your plan of running a few hundred rounds of plain old ball through it is a good one.

Keep us posted, and welcome to the board. :cool:

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
My EMP is fairly new..
I've run several brands of FMJ with no problems.
It hesitated a bit on JHPs, but once the first one chambered, it finished the mag without issue.
I sent mine back to SACS (SA customer service) to get some work done and asked they look into the JHP feeding issues.

Contact SACS, they them what is going on and they may have you send it in.
It will cost you nothing, they will email you FedEx label and shipping instructions..

Custom shop - 800-617-6751

[email protected]

or

[email protected]

And welcome to the forum wes..

·
Registered
20 Posts
i have a emp 9, only had 1 ftf and that was with frangible ammo that i had to shoot at the reactive steel target range, this is when i first got it, before it was broken in. but other than that ive shot close to 1000rds of fmj through it no problem: winchester, remington, S&B, federal...also shot a box of remington golden sabers, and a box of winchester ranger t's jhp's without a hitch.
i really like my emp 9, its my favorite ccw out of all my pistols, i hope yours turns out well after you break her in!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Try a new mag or polish the EMP. Might have to use a different PD ammo like Critical Defense or PowerBall. They have a FMJ profile that help feeding with finicky handguns. I have been using the Crit Def in my 1911 lately since there is no feed ramp

Definitely don't rely on that KelTec or its mini mouse cartridge. You have an XD, carry that, otherwise its a paperweight! Get a good holster for it. Sell the KelTec to buy a good holster, that is worth its weight in gold!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Got my EMP 9mm on 05/09/11, and on Monday I m calling customer service.
A got some FTF at the beginning, but the problem why is ggoing back is because I think I have extractor problems since I get hit all the time on my head and shoulder, also my rear sight got completly loose.
Since is going in, I'll have the single safety installed

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Definitely don't rely on that KelTec or its mini mouse cartridge. You have an XD, carry that, otherwise its a paperweight! Get a good holster for it. Sell the KelTec to buy a good holster, that is worth its weight in gold!
There is your opinion, here is mine..
Carry the Kel-Tec with the 380 round Wes.
The 380 has been known to stop a threat or two..
I carry an LCP quite often when I need pocket carry.
I'm still alive..:shock:

I sold 4 XDs, they were paperweights with poor triggers as far as I'm concerned..:roll:
Get that EMP going and you might even end up selling those XDs as well..;)
For what you could sell both XDs, you can get a nice 1911 in 45AP.:rolleyes:

Keep us posted Wes..

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have the EMP in 40 s&w. It has chewed up and spit out everything I've offered it, including some old junk bulk ammo that was pretty shady stuff. It has run 100% reliable from day one. It is my favorite EDC by far.

I also agree with 1LL, in that, on occasions where I can't carry the EMP, I carry a SIG P238. If I hit the BG between the eyes with the .380 I bet HE will let you know how effective a SD round it is. I don't feel under gunned at all when I carry it.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I do carry an LCP in .380, but it is always the backup, never primary. Plus, it is far more reliable than the P3AT I used to own which broke twice, mag broke, frame broke, and customer service was poor

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok guys today went much better. After doing a good cleaning and lubing last night I headed back out to the range this morning. I shot 250 rounds of winchester 115 gr FMJ. Out of the 250 rounds I had 3 FTF which is much better than yesterday. Next I fired 27 rounds of SD ammo and had a FTF once on each magazine. Overall much better than yesterday but nowhere near where I want to be.

I'll be calling Springfield tomorrow to send it back. I've really fell in love with this gun and want to get it working right. The overall feel and superior accuracy makes my XDs feel like junk.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is your opinion, here is mine..
Carry the Kel-Tec with the 380 round Wes.
The 380 has been known to stop a threat or two..
I carry an LCP quite often when I need pocket carry.
I'm still alive..:shock:

I sold 4 XDs, they were paperweights with poor triggers as far as I'm concerned..:roll:
Get that EMP going and you might even end up selling those XDs as well..;)
For what you could sell both XDs, you can get a nice 1911 in 45AP.:rolleyes:

Keep us posted Wes..

I'm still carrying the 380. The whole reason I moved to the EMP was because trying to conceal the XD just wasn't feasible for me.

·
Premium Member
12,086 Posts
Ok guys today went much better. After doing a good cleaning and lubing last night I headed back out to the range this morning. I shot 250 rounds of winchester 115 gr FMJ. Out of the 250 rounds I had 3 FTF which is much better than yesterday. Next I fired 27 rounds of SD ammo and had a FTF once on each magazine. Overall much better than yesterday but nowhere near where I want to be.
At the end were the malfunctions with the SD ammo consistently on the same round in each mag (first, last, etc), or was it random?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I shot at several distances today. The bottom two targets were at 10 yards. The bottom right target I was conducting controlled pair drills and the left was single shot. I'm think about adjusting the sights to move me back to the right. Anyone adjusted their own?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I contacted SA yesterday about my issues and got a response by the end of the day with instructions and a pre-paid shipping label to send the gun back for work. I'll be shipping it out tomorrow.

On another note the 1911 bug has bit me hard and I ordered a RIA 5" match yesterday afternoon. I got it for $580 out the door which is the best price I could find. Can't wait to get it in and put some rounds down range.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I contacted SA yesterday about my issues and got a response by the end of the day with instructions and a pre-paid shipping label to send the gun back for work. I'll be shipping it out tomorrow.

On another note the 1911 bug has bit me hard and I ordered a RIA 5" match yesterday afternoon. I got it for $580 out the door which is the best price I could find. Can't wait to get it in and put some rounds down range.
Pretty much what I did..
I actually bought my EMP and 9mm RIA tactical the same day..;)

The RIA is a tack driver..

This was around 15 or so yards, the first time I took it out..

I've got to give it to SA for customers service.
I probably went back and forth with Deb thru 10 or more emails to decide on what I wanted done to my EMP.
The day they received it, the custom shop guy called me and we talked for about 15 minutes discussing the work I wanted done and the JHP issues I was having.
It is going to take 10 weeks to get it back, but the EMP will be exactly what I want it to be when I get it back..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts