Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry if the title is confusing. I'm currently in the navy and rapidly approaching my transition back into "the real world". I have already been approved for a concealed carry permit but I'm deployed so I wont be able to pick it up until I get to go home on separation leave. I have already decided to get a Ruger SR9c for my concealed carry and currently own an XDM45. my mothers property is almost a perfect setup for a private pistol range and the whole fam damily uses it for just that during holiday get togethers. I was hoping to set up for some pistol drills but admit that the only course of fire I know is the navy pistol qualification course. so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good live fire drills for CC or home defense?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Dry fire is one of the best ways to train with your gun. In terms of actual live fire training, take a couple of lessons from an instructor. He / she will be able to set up a proper training regimine based on your actual strenghts and weakness'. Thanks for serving our country.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
+1 on the instructor.

The dry fire will be great for the trigger press.... but something IDPA or similar, or an instructor who does something other than marksmanship training will help.

You can only do so much by yourself without having outside help.

Also... thank you for your service..... appreciate what you have done for us. Good luck on your post-military career!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
My son and I have been shooting with an instructor who is putting us through the four phases of the FBI's Q course. Just google FBI pistol qualification course for the description of the phases if you are interested.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
As amazing as it may seem, I'm pretty sure I've posted some in this very sub-forum. Try a search on my user name in this sub-forum.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok first of all, thanks for all your support, it's largely a thankless job so you guys have no idea what it means to have someone say thanks for your service.
second, I googled fbi pistol qual course and found a website full of drills and was surprised how many I had been doing at my local range just messing around.
3rd, of the five listed IDPA locations the nearest is going to be about a 3 hour drive from where I plan on settling back down to so with gas at $4.00 and rising it may not be a very economic option at this time.

there is a USPSA clud earby, what's the main difference between USPSA and IDPA?

·
Premium Member
127,724 Posts
there is a USPSA club earby, what's the main difference between USPSA and IDPA?

I shoot both and believe the differences to be minor. Check out their respective web sites and you will see how much alike they are.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Dry fire man, lots of it.

Even run drills with small targets taped to the wall to get more practice, make them different sizes to simulate different distances.

It will get your hand-eye coordination and target pick up speed way ahead of the curve.

Also air soft guns can be very beneficial for semi-realistic practice

If you have a buddy, get different colored papers and write numbers on them. Tape them to a wall at different places, or even on two walls. Have your buddy call out a number and color, find it and dry fire on it as quickly as you can do it smoothly, then have him call another, then go to two in sequence and so on. He can also call just a color or just a number and your have to engage anything that is that color or number.

I was exposed to this drill in an instructors demo course and it is very good for getting fast on target and also for shoot/no shoot decisions. It is way harder than it sounds if your buddy does it right and keeps you right at the edge of your skill level. We had some very experienced shooters and instructors going into brain lock on this one. It was an eye opener.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts