Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I got down the basics on how ima do my build.

Now maybe someone can answer these lol

i know these are all ar15s but some people have m4s or m4jery or some other terms ive heard

I thought everyone was a ar15? but i guess some are m4s some are m14s? some are this some are that.. id just like to get to know what the deal is.

also what is buis

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Ok, so I got down the basics on how ima do my build.

Now maybe someone can answer these lol

i know these are all ar15s but some people have m4s or m4jery or some other terms ive heard

I thought everyone was a ar15? but i guess some are m4s some are m14s? some are this some are that.. id just like to get to know what the deal is.

also what is buis

We all have AR-15s. The M14 is totally different.

BUIS = Back Up IronSights.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if i get a cmmg lower.. and a cmmg upper

chances are it will be a m4 ar15??

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And also, i see some people talking about gas blocks? Is that a whole diff addition to the gun?

I just want a plain and simple ar15 as my first build

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
So if i get a cmmg lower.. and a cmmg upper

chances are it will be a m4 ar15??
Or an M4gery. M4gery is basically any civilian (semi-auto) look a like of the military M4 carbine.

Every AR platform rifle has a gas block of some sort. If you have a Front Sight Post, it acts as a "gas block", but if you decide to get rid of the FSB, then you will need a gas block. The gas block is essential in that it uses the spent gas to cycle the bolt which will throw your spent case and chamber a new round.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL man i swear i got the ar15 disease and i havent even gotten anything physically yet ;x

once i get my lower on sunday i think ima go crazy with this stuff

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
If you want a plain AR15, don't worry about gas blocks. Get an A2 front sight, which is the commonly seen "triangular" sight sticking up on the front. The gas tube runs inside that and is "blocked" in there by design.

When you hear about gas blocks, usually what's going on is someone is removing that front sight and installing some type of railed forearm w/a flip up front sight on. The gas tube needs to be blocked somewhere, so they will install a gas block to either A) fit underneath the rails and out of sight, or B) have a flip up front sight/gas block combo put on. :D

Edit: Ahhh, Stewie beat me to it haha.

·
Registered
367 Posts
as stated above...

unless we are in the military we do not have a M4, we have a M4gery. outside of the M4 barrel, you have lightweight barrels, heavy barrels(HBAR), medium contour barrels, bull barrels.

a M4 barrel has a notch in it for the M203 attachment. the lightweight barrels are said to flex at extreme temps, medcon, HBAR and Bull barrels add more weight to the front end.

you have 3 gas lengths: rifle length, mid-length, carbine length.

rifle length is usually for 20" barrels and longer(i think the 16" rifle length is called a dissapator)
mid-length and carbine length are for 16" barrels
carbine length is for 16" and shorter.

the front sight block is the standard, some prefer it when "F marked" because you have the mil-spec standard. some prefer gasblocks that are hidden under an extended handguard and then they add a BUIS to the rail, some prefer flipfront sight/gasblocks.

the difference between the sights are, when you add optics some do not want to co-witness with the iron sights. those of us that don't want to co-witness prefer BUIS that can be lowered out of sight.

BUIS down

BUIS up

with my BUIS down

and co-witnessing

gasblocks are either built into the front sight post or are a seperate part.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
To the OP: I'm also fairly new to the AR platform so I had many of the same questions that you have. I ended up buying an Armalite AR-10 (.308 or 7.62 NATO) the other day and the owners manual helps with many of these basic questions. I would suggest purchasing a manual off the internet or even looking for an online manual. Without having the gun or at least a diagram for assembly, it can be difficult to understand exactly what people are talking about without using Google every 15 seconds.

At first, I didn't understand the function of the gas block or even what it was, but once I got the gun home and broke it down, everything kind of clicked in my head and I had basic understanding of how all the parts worked in conjunction. I still have a LOT to learn I'm more than willing to devote my free time to understanding the finer points in the AR functionality.

Good luck and enjoy yourself :D

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
IF YOU HAVE NOT JOINED YET...become a member over at AR15.COM. This is every AR15 owner's best friend in terms of useful information, a wealth of members with a wealth of knowledge, an excellent sales forum for all things AR15-related, and a generally good place to hang out and get some more information before you start your build.

Here is the General Information Resource Link and FAQ page from the AR15 section at AR15.COM:

AR15.COM :: Forums :: AR Discussions FAQ & General Information Resource (Read First)

It'll take a while to digest, but it is worthwhile for you to read all (or most of) the information on that page and the pages it links to...

·
Registered
367 Posts
IF YOU HAVE NOT JOINED YET...become a member over at AR15.COM. This is every AR15 owner's best friend in terms of useful information, a wealth of members with a wealth of knowledge, an excellent sales forum for all things AR15-related, and a generally good place to hang out and get some more information before you start your build.

Here is the General Information Resource Link and FAQ page from the AR15 section at AR15.COM:

AR15.COM :: Forums :: AR Discussions FAQ & General Information Resource (Read First)

It'll take a while to digest, but it is worthwhile for you to read all (or most of) the information on that page and the pages it links to...
just don't ask about olympic arms. :p

I really don't forum there much but I LOVE their Equipment Exchange forum! best deals you can find. to me it has put gunshows to shame!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
BRD (Black Rifle Disease) spreads like wild fire once you catch it you can't can't stop looking at thinking about, or touching your EBR (evil Black Rifle) you will spend countless hours reading everything you can about it. then you will start the hey this stock rifle is pretty sweet BUT what if i took this part and replaced that part then put a thingamajiggy in there i bet i would be even better then before you know you will have a table full of AR's like MVCILIAN and a probably like most of us a mound of dept.

once you start you will undoubtably want to at some point change out the stock or install a new trigger then you will have to try at least one of every railed hand guard avaialble in search of the perfect one for your hands.

i hope your independantly wealthy or have 3 or 4 jobs to pay for your new hobby.

ive gone a little over board this month and picked up two more complete ARs and Two more lowers to build more with. once they are completed i will be up to 8.

and now im starting to get in to the lower parts. i wont go into it again but my next build is going to have a LPK that is purchased Piece by Piece.

unless you are planning on buying the top of the like caddy/hummer/lexus/lambo/Ferrari of ARs i would not spend much time there chatting.

BARFCOM has a wealth of information about building, different parts new products Ect Ect Ect, but its also filled with potato chip munching super leet hi speed low drag Range Commandos that would probably cry if they put a scrath in thier beautiful Rifle or $1k optic.

assemebly instructions are awesome and very detailed. The EE (equipment Exchange) is second to none if you can't find it there it doesn't exist

thier views and opinions i could do without same with m4carbine.net

welcome to the club and good luck.

·
Registered
713 Posts
BARFCOM has a wealth of information about building, different parts new products Ect Ect Ect, but its also filled with potato chip munching super leet hi speed low drag Range Commandos that would probably cry if they put a scrath in thier beautiful Rifle or $1k optic.
Har! Quoted for troof!

:lol:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Har! Quoted for troof!

:lol:

thats why I really like the EE over on arf.com, no trashing or tacticooling. just items for sell. if you want it, buy it without someone telling you that you are an dumba$$ for getting that part and not the 500$ top-of-the-line part that brushes your teeth as an extra.

I forum here and ask my questions here, here is a decent dose of practical vs get what you pay for.

*I do know that some parts should not be skimped on but some parts just cost more cause they QC every part as opposed to 1 out of every 100.*

1 - 20 of 22 Posts