Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

After being a wheel gunner most of my life I decided to buy a 9mm. I went to the last funshow and after looking at the Glock and Springfield I picked up the XD-9 Service. After getting home I cut the quick tie securing the slide and noticed the guide rod was extending slightly out from the slide. I emailed Springfield with a photo and they responded with "It's Normal" with no further info.

My question is, is it normal and meant to protect the barrel or will the spring break in and retract. I checked the other posts and no one else seems to have this and maybe I'm just asking a stupid question. :oops:

If it's normal I quess I'll be going to the recoil spring forum.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
It's normal and has a purpose. Should the end of the gun get pressed against a wall or some other "object", the protruding guide rod will prevent the slide from being pushed back out of battery. It's call "stand off".

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your XD, it is a fine piece of hardware.

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
It's normal. It doesn't recede over time. The gun design just has it where the rod slightly protrudes. I know there's gurus out there that can probably tell you why.

Congrats on your purchase. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I love mine and carry it every day.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for the replies.

I guess I'll leave the guide rod alone and see how it goes. If it still bothers me I'll hop over to Don's area and look for a replacement.
I'm heading to the range this weekend and I'll be sure to post the results.

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts