Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first handgun. I selected the XD9 4 inch. this is not the first time i have shot 9mm but i wanted to know if i really should have gotten the 40 instead? Can you tell me what the benifits between the two are? i was looking for something to goto the range wih mostly and to have here at the house. I do live in crappyfornia so i wanted to get something before they strip us of all our rights. thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
The 9mm is a really good choice for a "range gun". Ammo is cheap, and there isn't as much recoil, so that makes it a better beginner weapon, plus if you have a wife or girlfriend that likes to shoot with you it would more then likely be better for them as well.

I currently have a .357Sig and I am going to get a 9mm just to go to the range with....but have my .357Sig for my carry weapon.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
I have both, and most often choose to shoot the 9mm and have no problems keeping it available for home defense access. Learn to shoot straight and no worries.

Welcome to the forum! :D

·
Registered
300 Posts
givens, I went through the same thing. I ended up with an XD9 over an XD40 for these reasons:

1) The XD9 is about 30-40% cheaper on ammo (WWB and other ammo you buy at places like Wal-mart and Bass Pro)

2) My wife likes the 9mm for the lower recoil.

3) I can shoot more because the ammo's cheaper.

4) I love irritating Sarah Brady by packing 15+1 rounds of ammo. :twisted:

5) Like a 45 relative to a 40, the only advantage to the 40 over the 9mm is a bigger bullet. In that 1-in-a-million (OK, slight exaggeration since I live in the Memphis area) chance that I'd ever have to use it for self-defense, there's only a 1-in-a-million chance that a 9mm would fail to do the job that a 40 would do. Anyway, I think you'd be better off concerning yourself with other things - like not playing golf in a thunderstorm or such. :)

I'm going to get a 1911 .45 (Springfield GI or Mil-Spec model) at some point before long, but it's not because I worry about "stopping power".

I've got the service model. I'd like to pick up a sub-compact. Probably look for one in .40 just to have some variety in life, but I'll gladly snap up one in 9mm --- probably from some guy who read one too many message boards and thinks if he shoots someone with a 9mm, "it's only gonna make them mad". Local gun range had one for $350 with 2 mags, but I don't have the money for it right now :cry: .

·
Registered
36 Posts
9 or 40 no one will ever know! I say go with what makes YOU happy. I have the same gun and its a great range/defense gun. Have fun shooting!

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Its an ongoing debate...9...40...pick one and be happy.

I bought the XD-40, because I already own a 9mm Hi-Power and theres just no way any 9mm is going to replace my Belgian Beauty. She's accurate, slim and beautiful.

That said, I really like my XD-40...its a great pistol.

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
102 Posts
Remember, if you plan to keep your XD around for defense purposes, it's a WHOLE lot more important that you be able to hit what you shoot at than the caliber of the bullet.

IMO, the 9mm is an excellent choice, if for no other reason the ammo is so much cheaper you can pay for your new pistol just on the basis of the cost difference in ammo between .40 and 9mm.

The more you shoot, the better you'll get. The better you get, the more likely you are to be able to hit what you aim at. Enjoy your 9mm, shoot it at the range as much as you can with that cheap 9mm ammo, and if you get to the point where you want a more powerful round, get a .40 or .45.

Scott

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Welcome! You'll enjoy the 9mm--it's a great first handgun. I went with the .40 as my first and it took me a while to get rid of the flinch that inevitably results from starting out with too much. There are some good defensive rounds out there that make 9mm effective enough, and as others have said the range ammo is lots cheaper. Shoot often and safely.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just incase you didnt already know the cheapest range ammo to use is Winchester White Box-100 round value pack from WALMART it should be 10 to 11$ or if you have a Academy Sports 3-4$ a box of 50 CCI Blazer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts