Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have decided to obtain my CHP in Louisiana, for several reasons, and I think I have that part under control. What I am currently looking for is the equipment. I have posed some questions on www.packing.org reguarding the XD line, and recieved good comments. However one gunshop tried very hard to stear me away from it, being that I have never used a handgun, and he was obviously not happy with the lack of a manuel safty.

I want to ask if an XD in a 3" or 4" would be a good first handgun? I am partial to a .40S&W (for other reasons). I am a larger guy (6', 250lbs) and I was planning on an IWB carry. I respect the opinion of the gunshop guy, I hear he knows his stuff, but is there another gun that would be better as a first, and then with more experience I could use the XD? Also, is there a shooting difference between a 3" and a 4" XD? Thanks for your $.02.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Some people will say that no manual safety is an even better thing for a noob, because it's less to fumble with in case you need the gun.

The XD will not fire unless you have a proper grip, and you pull the trigger, provided you are carrying it in a holster and not just jangling around in a backpack or something.

I think it's a great first pistol. Heck, it was my first pistol.

Just follow the rules of safe firearm handling (I didn't!) and ANY gun is a good first gun. Likewise, if you ignore any of the rules, ANY gun is a bad first gun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree with Overkill. I have had several pistols over the years, but just recently bought an xd, The first striker fired pistol I have ever fired or owned. I think as a first pistol the lack of manual safeties would be a benefit if it would be needed in a emergency. I will admit after years of owning pistols with manual safeties, it took a while to get used to the lack of manual safeties on the xd, but now I am comfortable with it. I think it would be a good first pistol as long as you follow safe firearm practice.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
My XD wasn't my first handgun, however it is the first that I was totally comfortable with.
All the others were either way too big, too small, too complicated, or kicked way too hard.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I like knowing that my XD is going to fire when I need it without fiddling around with any external safeties. Also, between the trigger safety, grip safety, and firing pin block there's virtually no such thing as an accidental discharge. You have to break a cardinal rule of gun safety to make this thing go off unintentionally.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Initially I wasn't comfortable about the lack of a manual safety but once I field stripped the XD and figured out exactly how it worked and how safe it really is I never looked back.

The XD without a manual safety should not be viewed any differently than a revolver (which usually doesn't have a manual safety).

Oh yeah, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I am going to go fire a few rented weapons at the range (they had an XD). Good forum...

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Yes, that is an excellent idea. Go try guns and find one you like, do not let anyone talk you into soemthing you do not like. Guns are very personal as far as wht you like the feel of and what you can shoot well. It is best to get the feel of many and decide yourself. Do not go and get soemthing because soemone said it is the best caliber or that is it kewl or that all the cops carry them. Get something you like. Remember it is you investment.

I myself like the XD series very much, but I also like the CZ-75, Walther P-99, HK P-2000 and S&W M29 .44 magnums with 6 1/2" barrels. I have carried them all except for the M29. I do not think having a safety is a liability if you train properly to disengage it . Train like you fight, fight like you train. Having a safety is actualy preferable if you are disarmed, many bad guys have no idea how to disengage it.

Also, as this is your first gun and you have not done any real shootign before take a guns safety course and a defensive pistol course before you start carrying. The safety course will hopefully keep you from grief by preventign gun accidents and the defensive course will help train you in the deployment of your weapon in a lethal force confrontation. In addition a good defensive course will let you know the laws in your locality pertaining to the use of deadly force. This is extremely important. Also if you carry go to the range often and shoot as much as possible so as to properly develop and retain our shooting skill.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't know HOW many times I've had the safety on when shooting my Ruger .22. Really embarassing to watch yourself flinch.

I got the XD over the Glock for 2 reasons. It felt better in my hand, and it has dual safeties, neither which require thinking.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
paper tiger said:
I don't know HOW many times I've had the safety on when shooting my Ruger .22. Really embarassing to watch yourself flinch.

I got the XD over the Glock for 2 reasons. It felt better in my hand, and it has dual safeties, neither which require thinking.
You flinch with a 22 :?:

·
Premium Member
24,884 Posts
Funny!...The lack of an external safety never seems to come up when discussing revolvers. :wink:

·
Registered
212 Posts
In regards to your question about the 3" or 4". Since your a larger framed man, I would go with the 4". The grip is more comfortable.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What about that little grip extension for the XD 3" Mags? Are they worth anything?

Thanks

James

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well, adding the extension, wether finger or the sleeve that's out now, you end up with the same length as the 4". So why not the 4". I'm a medium size guy, 5'11" and 225lbs, and I have no problem at all concealing the 4".

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How long does it take a new non-shooter to get used to the recoil? I have only shoot rifles, .22 to a 30-06. The 30-06 was harsh.

·
Registered
39 Posts
packing-in-LA

Like you I have experience with everything but pistols (archery,shotgun,rifle and muzzle loaders) and after lots of research I decided on the XD-9 for my first pistol. I however did not take any kind of pistol course, I would suggest you do ( do as I say not as i do ).
The first time i went to the range I was nervous ( because i didn't really know what to expect ) but my goal was to just shoot the gun and get a feel for it. It was obviously different than the long guns but not intimidating.
During my third trip to the range I began to really get familiar with the gun, to the point that I was focusing more on my breathing and technic than just holding on to the gun. After about 300 rounds I am getting a good feel for it and the recoil was never harsh but is also something you start to get a feel for rather quickly.
I am very happy that I made the XD my choice of a first pistol.
Whatever pistol you choose just practice,practice,pratice and be confident
with it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts