Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and couldn't find anything. I am getting my XD9 soon and, naturally, want to take it to the range asap. Should I clean it before going to the range, or just after range visits? If before, will a quick wipe of the inside barrel suffice or should I completely clean it? Thanks!

·
Registered
107 Posts
XD s are good to go . No cleaning necessary before hitting the range .

·
Registered
157 Posts
You will here mixed things but if you have time clean the factory gunk out first. That's what I did. I can't imagine it'll hurt anything if you don't though

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I searched and couldn't find anything. I am getting my XD9 soon and, naturally, want to take it to the range asap. Should I clean it before going to the range, or just after range visits? If before, will a quick wipe of the inside barrel suffice or should I completely clean it? Thanks!
At the very least run a patch through the barrel, just in case there is some thing there that could cause a problem.

don

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
^^^
Ya beat me to it, Don :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,448 Posts
+1 on what Don said

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
The factory applied oils are intended more as preservative effect than for lubrication. While a properly assembled XD / XDm should normlly function directly out of the box, you would be doing yourself a favor to clean out all that sticky residue before use. (keeps it off your clothes and hands at the range). The factory product is real effective at catching dirt and powder debris. Don't forget the mags, both inside and out for smoothest feeding.
Personally, I would never shoot a new firearm until at least a cursory strip - clean - inspect - lube routine. The pistol was test fired at the factory, but who really knows how it was handled and treated between then and now. So if not for ease and reliability of use, at least from a safety aspect knowing all the parts are there it would seem a logical point. Takes all of what, a couple minutes? If you can not do this in only a couple minutes, that is all the more reason to become more familiar with the workings of your firearm. And avoids any frustration or embarrassment of a possible first round or first outing failure of your new toy in front of an audience.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Not only is it a good practice to give any new gun a good cleaning before firing for the first time, field stripping allows you to become more familiar with a new firearm.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I don't ever put rounds through a firearm without field stripping it, cleaning out the grease it's shipped in, inspecting parts and then I lube it. I don't know about XD/Springfield, but some firearm's are shipped in grease that is meant as a preservative, not a lubricant. Also you will want to check the inside of the weapon for burrs and imperfections and perform a function check. It is also important to run a patch through the bore/barrel to clean out any gunk that may have accumulated there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I cleaned mine before my first outing and was surprised how dirty it was from the factory. Besides, it's a good excuse to get familiar with you weapons internals! I also clean after every visit to the range.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Personally, I would never shoot a new firearm until at least a cursory strip - clean - inspect - lube routine. The pistol was test fired at the factory, but who really knows how it was handled and treated between then and now. So if not for ease and reliability of use, at least from a safety aspect knowing all the parts are there it would seem a logical point. Takes all of what, a couple minutes? If you can not do this in only a couple minutes, that is all the more reason to become more familiar with the workings of your firearm. And avoids any frustration or embarrassment of a possible first round or first outing failure of your new toy in front of an audience.
Here Here. I always need to do at least a cursory field strip to make sure it wont blow up in my face. Just wipe it down, check the barrel for obstructions and some light lube on the rails and good to go.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Simple question, simple answer.
Yes.
Clean it.
Inspect it.
Shoot it.
Clean it again.
About 200 or so rounds and it'll give up any secret issues it may have.
Only thing you'll probably find is a lack of $$$ for ammo...

Enjoy it.
;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts